Nineteen

"This can't be real," Remus breathes out as he gazes down at the unconscious girl in the Hospital Wing. She's not someone Remus personally knows, but he's seen her around every now and then. Her hair is a pale blonde, styled in two braids that rest on her chest. Her face is deathly pale, a hundred freckles scattered across her cheeks and nose. 

But what stands out the most is not her hair or her skin. 

It's that spot right below her nose where her mouth should be. Except right now, instead of a pair of lips, all there is is a stretch of pale skin.

Remus steps away from the bed and closes the curtains, his heart sinking to his stomach. He feels sick. He'd let himself get comfortable—as much as he could, at least—around Sirius, and he'd let himself forget just how cruel Sirius truly is. 

He turns to Lily, who's watching him with a frown. "You okay?" she asks, placing a hand on his elbow.

"Me?" Remus shakes his head. "What does it matter when..." he gestures towards the girl. 

"Let's see what Madam Pomfrey has to say," Lily squeezes his arm gently, pulling him away. 

As it turns out, what Madam Pomfrey has to say is a whole lot of terrible news. "Unlike with the three boys I saw earlier," she sighs, "this girl has been stunned unconscious. I've tried reviving her, but to no success. Which leads me to believe that this is no ordinary Stunning Spell," 

Remus frowns. Poppy wasn't able to reverse Sirius' spells last time, either, and they had to wait for the magic to wear off.

"We might have to send the poor thing to St. Mungo's," the Matron continues. 

Remus glances back at the curtained bed, and lets out an involuntary sigh. "Thanks, Poppy," he manages a small smile. She gives her a small pat on the shoulder before setting them off on their way. 

"Only the Prefects know so far," Lily speaks up after they've left the Hospital Wing. "And the two girls who found her," 

"What's her name?" Remus asks.

"Theodora Allen," Lily replies. "Her friends call her Theo," 

"Okay," Remus sighs. "I'm assuming Dumbledore knows?"

"He does," Lily nods. "He's the one who told me," 

"Are we supposed to go investigating who did this again?" Remus frowns.

"Yeah," Lily's voice is suddenly tense. "Even though you and I both know just fine who did it," 

Remus bites his lip. 

"Let's go talk to Theo's friends," Lily squeezes his hand, as if he's the one who needs to be consoled right now. "Dumbledore put the two of us in charge." 

***

"Is she not the most adorable thing?" Sirius coos, tickling Cat's soft belly. She kicks at his hand before grabbing it with her paws. "Ow," Sirius laughs, but doesn't pull away.

"My God," Severus mutters, "he's caught the cat fever," 

This makes Regulus burst out laughing. "Can you blame him?" He reaches over to pet the cat. "So fucking adorable—ow, Bella!" He rubs his ear where it's just been pinched.

"You're going to give him cauliflower ear, Bella," Sirius laughs. 

"He deserves it," Bellatrix shrugs before going back to her work.

They fall into a brief silence, each occupied with their own thoughts until Narcissa makes an unexpected appearance at their table.