Twenty-three

When Remus returns from the bathrooms after his morning routine, James' bed is just as empty as it was when he left, and as it had been when he went to bed last night. 

As he stares at the unmade sheets, he feels his heart drop, the hairs on the back of his neck standing up. He tries to blink away the image of James lying in some dark corridor unconscious and mouthless. 

It's not like James fits the profile. He's neither Muggleborn nor a girl. Unless those things were simply coincidence. But even then, there's no way Sirius would hurt James, right?

Remus grabs a piece of parchment paper from his desk and writes James a quick note saying he'll be at breakfast, and to let him know if everything's alright.

But he's surprised when James actually takes him up on this offer.

He's halfway into his sandwich when James Potter slides into the seat in front of him, looking, if Remus is being quite honest, like a complete wreck. 

"James," Remus sets his food down. "What's wrong? Did you sleep last night at all?" 

"No," James sounds even worse than he looks. 

When Remus leans in closer, the unmistakable scent of alcohol stings at his nostrils. "Is that... are you drunk?"   

"Please don't take away House points," James mutters, dropping his head on the table, making the crockery and cutlery clatter in protest. 

"I... won't," Remus sighs, placing a hand on James' shoulder. "But you should probably get ready for lessons, or you'll be in trouble," 

"I'll just skip," James groans, not lifting his head up.

"James..." Remus rubs his temples. "Why would you get drunk on a Monday morning?" 

"On a Sunday night, actually," James corrects him. "And because I'm heartbroken, Remus." He raises his head, his lips drawn into a pout. "This heart," he taps over his chest, "it's broke. Shattered. In pieces," 

Remus raises his eyebrows. So that's what was up with Lily last night. "Why don't you eat something?" He tries.

James shakes his head, looking miserable. 

"Okay... how about some chocolate?" Remus produces half a bar from his cloak pocket. 

"No," James sighs. 

"Okay," Remus shoves the chocolate into his pocket. "Some tea, then," he pours James a cup before he can refuse, stirs a bit of sugar in and pushes it towards James. 

He watches James sip on it for a minute before picking his sandwich back up. They finish up in silence, and when Remus stands up to leave, James follows suit. 

"I'll see you after lessons," James gives him a weak smile, running a hand through his hair and messing it up even more. 

"Do you want me to stay with you?" Remus offers. 

"Nah," James shrugs. "I'll probably sleep the whole day away," 

"Okay," Remus squeezes his shoulder. "Don't forget to eat something," 

"Alright, mother dear," James huffs out a tired laugh. "I'll see you around." 

***

Sirius doesn't show up for lessons, either, which Remus doesn't know how to feel about. It's a relief not having to deal with him, but then... it's kind of boring without his snark.

And when Remus scores highest for MacGonagall's pop quiz that day, it just doesn't feel like he's accomplished anything because how can he win a game he's playing alone?