Seventeen

"Oh my Salazar," Regulus squeals, practically flying over to their table in the Common Room. He's just changed out of his uniform, his hair dripping little droplets of water from the shower and staining his t-shirt. "Is that a cat?" He reaches over to pet Mrs. Norris, who's currently occupying pages 117 and 118 of Bellatrix's The Language of Flowers: Illustrated Edition, rubbing a paw over her face.

She hisses at Regulus, swatting at his hand with a paw. 

"Ooh, she's feisty," Regulus laughs. 

"Wait till you hear who she is," Severus snorts.

"What do you mean?" Regulus only spares him a glance before returning his gaze to the cat, who has now settled on the book with an expression that can convey utter distaste at having been forced to breathe the same air as these obnoxious humans.

"It's Mrs. Norris," Sirius grins, stroking the cat's head. She allows him this luxury, a soft purr rising in her throat as he scratches behind her ear. "At least it was. Obviously, we're gonna rename her," 

"No way," Regulus leans closer to squint at the cat. "This cat is at least three shades lighter," 

It's true. Mrs. Norris, on her best day, would appear the colour of a dirty rag. Right now, set against the backdrop of a bunch of watercolour daffodils, her coat is a soft cinnamon.

"That's because I washed her," Sirius explains.

"She's adorable," Regulus coos. He bops her tiny nose and repeats, "You are adorable, Mrs. Norris. Such a cutie," 

Sirius laughs at his brother's extravagant and highly uncharacteristic display of affection. Who would've thought that all it took to win Regulus over was a cat?

"We need to come up with a new name," Sirius says.

"Agreed," Bellatrix hums. She drags the tip of her wand across the desk, smiling when soon-not-to-be Mrs. Norris tries to grab it. 

"Any ideas?" Regulus asks.

"None so far," Severus rolls his eyes, watching the cat successfully seize Bella's wand. 

"Ah, fuck," Bellatrix hisses, trying to regain control. "Don't chew on it, cat," 

"Now that's a name," Sirius laughs.

"What," Regulus frowns, "Cat?"

"I'd say it captures the spirit of the animal quite perfectly," Bellatrix shrugs, having retrieved her wand and tucked it in her sleeve.

"You know what," Sirius grins, "I'm inclined to agree," 

"You can't be serious," Regulus laughs. He stops abruptly, noticing Sirius' expression. 

But it's too late. There's no way Sirius would let the opportunity pass. "I am very much Siri—" 

"Finish that sentence and I'll feed you to the cat," Regulus glowers.

"You mean you'll feed him to Cat," Bella grins.

"So it's settled, then?" Severus asks uncertainly. "We're calling her... Cat?" 

"She's a cat," Bella shrugs. "Nothing better to call her. Unless you disagree, Severus?" She moves her hand to the hilt of her wand and runs a finger along the wood. Bellatrix, the Queen of Subtlety.

"No, no," Severus clears his throat. "Why would I?" 

Bella only smiles at him with exaggerated sweetness. 

"Well then," Sirius grins, "I believe this calls for an introduction." He picks Cat up, cradling her in his arms, and hops on to the desk. "Listen you little deviants," he calls, making the whole Common Room turn towards him. He takes a moment to gaze at the crowd of pale faces standing out against the gloom of the room. "I want to introduce someone very special to you. Meet... Cat the cat!"