New School

Amber Argent

I was waiting outside with my twin sister, Allison. We had just moved to a new school and we were currently waiting for someone to get us for class. Her phone rang and I sighed. It was Dad. She looked at me and answered it. She smiled and answered his question. I rolled my eyes. One of the staff came out and Allison rushed to end the call. He smiled at us and told us to follow him. I followed behind him and my sister. We stopped next to a door.

"Please wait here, girls. I will call you both in." Alison nodded.

I just leaned against the wall. I was vastly different from my sister. Where she was blissfully in the dark about our family, I wasn't. I knew why we moved around. She didn't. I hated that she didn't. I just wish at some points that she would have ended up being an empath. Not me. It's not easy knowing things that your sister gets to be blissfully ignorant about.

"Come in you two." I followed in after Allison.

I let my eyes glide over the class. I let my eyes rest on a boy who was staring at my sister. I flinched as I saw a memory of red eyes flash before me.

Great. So we aren't just here because it was time to move. My father is hunting an alpha.

"Girls, introduce yourself." My sister went first.

"I'm Allison Argent," she turned to me, "I'm Amber Argent. We're identical twins if y'all didn't have that figured out."

I could feel Allison's glare. She thought I was being rude. I didn't care. The teacher told us to take a seat. Allison took a seat in front of the boy who clearly had seen an alpha. I took the seat next to the boy behind him. I took a deep breath and focused. I could feel more than I cared to. I slipped an earbud in. I kept it on low, but it helped. Music was my go to, to drown out everything around me. I could focus on class and not the feelings of everyone else in class. Someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned. It was the boy behind the one that clearly had a thing for my sister.

"Are you okay?" I saw a flash of a strawberry blonde almost redheaded teenager.

"Yeah. I'm okay." I started to turn away.

"I'm Stiles." I smiled at him.

"Nice to meet you, Stiles." I turned back to the front.

It's not that I didn't want to make friends. I just wanted to focus on class. When the bell rang I got up and left. I headed for my next class. I met Lydia and her boy toy Jackson. Actually it was more like saw and felt so many things I didn't want to. They couldn't keep their hands off of each other. It was gross. When I got to music class, I smiled. I felt at peace here. Music  helped me focus and make it though the day without being overwhelmed most of the time. The rest of the day was slow. My sister was besties with Lydia by lunch. I mainly stayed by myself. Being an empath sucked sometimes. By the end of the day I was ready to go home, but I needed to go for a run. It was a long day and running helped me decompress. I changed into running clothes and started for the woods.