Home

Amber

I pulled into the driveway of my house. My mother was the first one out the door. I could tell from here she was unhappy. I didn't care. She was the one I hated any skin contact with the most. She was ruthless and was just like Aunt Kate deep down. Touching her skin the few times I did was enough to know she would kill without ever being hunted. She enjoyed killing. I was nervous, but I climbed out of the car.

"You have some nerve trying to tell your father what you are and are not going to do. You're not going anywhere." I glared at her.

Stay strong, Amber.

"You can't stop me. I will not stay in the same house as a killer. I have known everything since I was 13, mother. So move aside and let me pass to pack up my things." She stood her ground.

"No. You're not going anywhere. That means you're not grabbing any of your things." I didn't want to drag this out.

Dragging it out meant Allison would ask questions. Questions I don't think anyone in my family really wanted to answer right now.

"You don't have a choice. Dad already agreed. Move aside," she stepped closer to me, "no. I will not have my daughter hang out with a bunch of monsters."

I stepped closer to her, my face an inch away from hers. I let my anger rise. I let my skin touch hers so that my eyes would change colors. She looked surprised.

"I am a monster, mother. I know what you feel. It's why my eyes glow red. I feel your anger. So I'll take my chances with the monsters, mother seeing as how I am one." I turned away and climbed back into my car.

I looked up to see my sister in her window. She looked worried. I pulled out of the driveway unsure of where to go.

•••

By nightfall I had decided to just sleep in my car. I didn't really have a choice. I knew it was dangerous outside because of the alpha, but I wouldn't go back home. I couldn't, especially not after what I showed my mom. So since I had nowhere to go I parked my car behind the Hale house. I know probably should've steered clear of the place, but I didn't have anywhere else. I reclined the front seat and stared up at the roof of the car. I was uncomfortable, but I wasn't going back home. I was almost asleep when someone knocked on my window. I sat up with my knife in hand. I saw Derek Hale looking down at me. I sighed in relief and put the knife away. I opened the door and scowled at him.

"What are you doing here?" I saw his eyes glow blue.

Pretty.

He cleared his throat. I blushed and shook my head.

"You scared me. I was almost ready to reach for wolfsbane, but lucky for you I don't have any. Don't scare me like that again. What does it look like I'm doing? I'm sleeping in my car. Is that a problem?" Derek frowned down at me.

"You shouldn't be out here by yourself. Didn't Argent tell you about the Alpha?" Red eyes came to the forefront of my mind.

I shook my head, "what do you care? That's one less Argent you have to worry about."

I cringed and he looked shocked. I didn't mean for my words to come out so harsh and I don't think he was expecting it either. I felt bad.

"I'm sorry," I glanced away from him, "I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just been a rough day."

I shivered as a breeze picked up. I wrapped my arms around myself. I knew he was still standing in front of me because I could see his feet. I looked up at him. He had taken his jacket off and was handing it to me. I was surprised.

"Why are you being so kind to me, Derek? It's not like my family has been particularly kind to yours." He tilted his head at me.

"You're not your family. You proved that today. You stood up for me against them." I felt a stronger breeze.

I glanced at his jacket. I felt safe. I felt like I could trust him. I took his jacket and slipped it on. It was warm and smelt like pine. Like Derek. I smiled up at him.

"Thank you, Derek." He gave me a little smile.

"Why don't you come with me? It's not safe being out here alone." I bit my lip.

I didn't know why he was being kind. I wanted to trust him, because I couldn't even trust my own family. I looked over at the Hale house. I didn't deserve his kindness and I didn't want to be a burden. I slipped his jacket off and handed it back to him. I felt a pain in my chest when I took it off. He didn't take it from my outstretched hand.

"I'll be fine. Thank you though, Derek." I looked away from him.

I thought he would just let it go. Just take his jacket and leave, but instead I felt his hand grip my chin. He made me look at him. His eyes were glowing blue. I felt sparks where his fingers touched my skin.

"Quit being stubborn. Just come on." I nodded.

He stepped back and I climbed out. I shut my door. I looked up at Derek.

"So where are we sleeping," he smiled, "follow me."

He walked around the Hale house and up to the front door. I followed him inside. He closed the door behind me and took his coat. He started going upstairs. I bit my lip, unsure of how sturdy the house was. I was also nervous. Derek looked back at me.

"Come on," I started walking up the stairs.

He took my hand in his. I felt safe. I didn't feel anything from him. It was as though he was keeping his feelings at bay as not to overwhelm me? At the top of the stairs I saw a room with a queen sized bed. He sat down on the edge of the bed.

"It's not much, but you'll be safer here than out there." I nodded.

"Thank you, Derek." I walked around to the other side and sat down.

I peeked behind me. He was laying down already. I felt a warmth in my chest. I didn't understand why he cared. I wouldn't. I would've just left me outside alone if I was in his shoes. Especially being the child of his enemy. I laid down my back towards him. I looked out the window. The moonlight shined in. I settled down, accidently scooting closer to Derek. I felt the warmth radiating from him. I bit my lip.

"Go to sleep, Argent," he rolled over and wrapped an arm around my waist, "I'll keep you safe, just sleep."

I nodded and closed my eyes. A warm feeling spread throughout my body. I relaxed against him feeling safe. My eyes start to feel heavy.

"You're safe, little Argent. Sleep." I let go and slipped into a peaceful sleep.