Hale Fire

Amber

I had been running for an hour when I took a breather. I felt so much better. Being outside alone always helped dealing with the emotions that bombarded me during the day. I was stretching when something caught my eye. I ran to the south and found a house. I was surprised it was still standing. It had clearly been damaged from a fire. The front door was a dull red. I walked up to it. I was drawn to the house. Normally I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a place like this, but I felt inexplicably drawn to it. I placed my hand on the door and oh boy did I regret that.

•••

Fire. Screams of children and women. A man with brown hair panicking trying to find a way out. I was standing next to him. I could feel his panic, his pain as he tried to save the werewolves and people inside. His hopelessness when he realized there was no way out. Flashes of faces from outside the building. People holding gas cans. A young woman who looked like my Aunt Kate.

•••

I screamed and fell to my knees. The panic was overwhelming. The screams sounded like they were right next to me. The smell of burning flesh was right under my nose. The pain in my hand felt real. I closed my eyes tight. The earbud that was in my ear was gone. It was hard to breathe. It was hard to find anything around me to focus on. I grit my teeth. I felt terrified. I heard a growl. Then I felt anger.  I cradled my hand to my chest. I couldn't breathe. I felt dizzy. Then the anger I felt disappeared and was replaced by calm. I was surprised when arms wrapped around me. I felt cool leather against my face.

"Breathe," I saw dots, "breathe with me. Come on. In, and out."

I didn't know who was holding me. I didn't understand why I felt calm around them.

I tried to do it, "that's it. Again. In through your nose. Hold. Breathe out. That's it. Just keep breathing."

I didn't know whose chest my face was against, but I was grateful. I followed his breathing. Listened to the sound of his breathing. Tears gathered in my eyes. I started sobbing.

"I'm right here. Just breathe. I've got you." I gripped onto whoever was with me.

My left hand was still cradled to my chest. I took a few more deep breaths. I looked up at the person's arms I was in. He looked surprised. I went to push him away and hissed in pain. I glanced down. My left hand had burns and blisters. I shot up and ran down the stairs. I didn't know why he made me feel calm, but it confused me. I tripped and turned my body so I would land on my back. I sat up and backed away against a tree.

"What are you doing here, Allison?" I shook my head.

I hate that everyone always assumes I'm my sister.

"I'm not Allison. I'm Amber," I glanced at the earbud on the porch, "can you bring me that? It helps calm me down."

I wasn't sure if he actually would. He knelt down and picked it up. I was still having issues breathing. He walked over to me and handed it to me. I plugged it back into my ear. The music helped wash away the sounds of the screams. I glanced down at my left hand. I tried to close it and winced.

"Why are you here?" I shook my head.

"I was only out for a run. Something drew me to the house, and I know why," he glared at me, "I'm an empath. I've known since I was 13. I also know what my family does. I think that's why I was drawn to this house, because my family hurt yours."

I bit my lip and felt tears slip down my cheeks. I heard shuffling and then a hand holding my injured one. I opened my eyes to see the man kneeling in front of me.

"What did you see?" I started sobbing.

"I saw Kate and others with gas cans. I heard children screaming. I felt their fear. Their terror. Their pain. I saw someone with brown hair, blue eyes. He saw their faces. Every single one who was outside pouring gasoline all over the house and my Aunt Kate who lit the match. I hate being an empath. It's why I've known what my family was since I was thirteen. This, knowing that Kate killed children. I don't want to go home. She's supposed to be there." He pulled out some bandages.

I was confused, "who are you? Why are you helping me?"

Our eyes met. I saw his eyes flash blue.

"My name is Derek. I've been listening to your heartbeat the entire time you've been speaking," he focused on my hand, "you haven't lied to me once. That's enough for me."

I feel calm as his skin touched mine, but I also get a flash of a man with burns covering half of his face. I gasp in surprise.

"Who was that?" He looked up at me.

"Who was the man with burns covering half of his face?" He frowned.

"Why," I shook my head, "he was the one I saw in the midst of the fire. The one who saw their faces. Is he alive?"

Derek quit wrapping my hand. His eyes were glowing blue. I suddenly felt really stupid. My family had killed his. Suddenly, I felt malice, but it wasn't coming from him. I lunged for him and tackled him to the ground. An arrow hit the tree where we were. White light exploded. I was disoriented for a moment. Then I looked towards the direction the arrow came from. My father was staring at me. I felt immensely angry at him.

No. I will not stand by. Not this time.

I stood up. I looked down at Derek. I wasn't going to let my family destroy his anymore. He looked up at me. I had to toughen up.

"Run." He looked surprised.

I turned towards my father. He looked surprised to see me angry. I stormed up to him and knocked the crossbow from his hands ignoring the pain in my injured one.

"If Derek had decided to dodge that arrow it would've killed me! That's not all I have to discuss with you. Derek Hale isn't to be touched. You leave Derek Hale alone. He is under my protection now. You hear me? Until I show you the truth about Aunt Kate." I gripped his wrist and started moving in the direction of the Hale house.

"Where are we going, Amber?" I didn't answer.

He didn't deserve a verbal answer. He would be plagued with the same images as I was. As we came to the Hale house I flinched from the memories I witnessed. I didn't want to relive them, but I needed to so my dad would learn the truth. I let my dad go. I turned towards him.
"It's time you knew the truth." I saw a flash of blue behind my father.