TwentyTwo

Just know that you don't

Have to do this alone

Promise I'll never let you down

"Have a good day," Eleanor smiled as she handed Buck a bagel and to-go mug of coffee. 

"I will but it'll be better tonight," Buck winked before leaning in to kiss Eleanor.

"Another surprise? You spoil me."

"This is a big one."

"Ooohh?" 

"No hints," Buck pecked her lips once more before turning and heading for the door. "Thank you for breakfast."

Eleanor leaned against the counter, confusion covering her face. She racked her brain trying to think of what Buck had planned this time. He loved surprises and he was pretty good at them too. Eleanor loved every one that he had planned so far. She knew this was just the beginning and that there'd be many more to come. 

Eleanor finished her coffee and set the mug in the sink before heading upstairs to get ready for work herself. She threw on a simple, comfortable outfit for today. It was a leggings and t-shirt kind of day. One good thing about working in an office was that they didn't really have a dress code, most things were acceptable. Eleanor slung her purse over her shoulder and grabbed her keys before heading out the door.

**Eight Hours Later**

Eleanor had just clocked out and was on her way home when something on the TV caught her attention. She paused, listening closely to the story on the news.

"Witnesses are reporting that this LAFD ladder truck belonging to station 118, was hit by some kind of an explosive as it was making it's way to a call."

"Oh my god.." tears welled in Eleanor's eyes as she watched the TV.

"Now you can see there's a firefighter pinned under that truck." Eleanor looked closer trying to make out who exactly was under the truck. 

"Buck.." she couldn't hold back her tears anymore. People around her looked at her with concern. More people gathered by the TV, watching to see what was going on.

Eleanor watched as people attempted to talk down the attacker so that they could get to Buck. Nothing was helping, he was just lying there in pain. She searched the screen attempting to find anyone else from the team. She didn't spot anyone so hopefully that meant they were okay. Eleanor wanted to leave, to run to Buck but she knew this was where she needed to be. When they finally got him free she'd be here waiting for him.

Eleanor pulled her phone out and decided to try calling the rest of the team. She dialed Eddie's number first. And of course, he picked up immediately.

"El.."

"Eddie.. you're okay."

"Yeah, yeah I'm okay." She could hear the pain in his voice.

"Everyone else?"

"They're okay. We're trying to figure out how to get Buck."

"I know. I'm watching the news. Please be careful and don't do anything stupid."

"No promises." Eleanor smiled at that. "I'll bring him home to you."

More tears spilled from her eyes as she focused back on the TV. Suddenly the camera panned over to show Bobby emerging from the crowd of people. He held his hands up as he walked toward the attacker. After what felt like forever, Bobby had finally talked down the attacker. The team ran toward Buck and attempted to lift the truck. There was no way they'd manage it on their own. Then, showing there was some good left in the world, the crowd began to push past the barricades and toward the truck. Tons of bystanders took place around the truck and began lifting. A small weight was lifted off Eleanor as they pulled Buck out from under the truck.