1 . new

i glance up from my phone, a tall, skinny guy i've never seen before catching my attention. i watch him walk into the lunch line with his friend, a guy i almost immediately recognized. Johnathan Nicola.

i elbow my friend, and she lets out a loud 'ow' before turning to look at me. "what the fuck was that for?" she asks, rubbing her shoulder that was developing a red mark.

"oh cmon f/n." i roll my eyes and look back at the lunch line, waiting for him to come out. "look at the 3rd lunch line." i mumble, and her eyes follow mine.

"what are we looking at exactly?" she places her arms against the table, using it as support as she crosses them.

"just give it a minute."

we both stare at the line for what seems like forever until i see johnathan typing in his id into the calculator looking thing. i catch a glimpse of the guy whose behind him. hes pale, and id assume hes white.

finally, johnathan walks out and the mystery guy is in full view. i gently tap f/n's hand and nod my head towards them.

she looks and frowns. "oh hell no, frank? frank portillo?" she looks back at me in denial.

"you know him? isn't he like, new?" i ask, leaning back a bit.

"what? no. y/n hes been coming here since like forever. hes a senior." she just looks confused.

"oh shit, ive never seen him." i scratch my shoulder.

her jaw almost drops, "I cant believe you. hes like number 1 player dude, everyone has him on their roster. Plus, hes fucked like half the senior girl population." she sighs, rubbing her temples as if her head hurts.

"oh." i scratch the side of my head and my gaze goes towards him once again. he walks out the doors beside johnathan, probably heading to the senior court.

i watch him through the windows as he laughs and runs a hand through his hair.

i glance back down at my phone, opening my imsg and going to johnathan's texts

we've been friends since sophomore year, when he asked me to help make a poster for his homecoming proposal to his now ex girlfriend, and my now ex friend.

yoooo johnnnn

i send the text and im immediately met with a 'read'. thats lowkey scary.

i watch as a text bubble appears, and turns into a Yo

why tf were u already in our texts😭😭

Mb i was showing someone the tiktok you sent me

who?

You dont know him

actually i texted u cs im tryna get to know smb

Okay

are u w anyb rn?

Yeah

come back to the cafeteria

Ok

i place my phone down and notice johnathan entering the cafeteria from the corner of my eye. hes alone, with his phone in his hand as he looks around.

his brows are slightly furrowed and he looks confused. stupidly confused.

suddenly, his eyes meet mine and he walks over. "yeah? what do you want" he ruffles my hair as if he was petting a dog.

i push his arm away and he smiles. hes always been like an older brother to me.

"that guy you were with-"

"he has a girlfriend." he interrupts me. fuck, seriously?

"ummm okayy?"

f/n glances at us and she exchanges hi's with johnathan. now she's interested in our conversation.

"but like i wasnt even gonna ask that." i cross my arms. that's exactly what i was gonna ask.

"then?" he mimics me and crosses his own arms. gosh, hes so sassy.

"i just wanted to be his friend, you know?" i smile.

he narrows his eyes and pokes his tongue through his cheeks. "fine, but if he ever coincidentally breaks up with his girlfriend, then you cant date him." he shrugs, rolling his eyes.

i gasp, my jaw on the floor. "what?! why???" i whine.

"because thats weird, youre like basically my sister at this point and thats bro code."

f/n laughs, covering her mouth as she giggles. i glare at her and look back up at johnathan. "well thanks for nothing i guess."

"i can bring him over here if you want..?"

"nah its fine."

he nods and walks back out the cafeteria, heading to the courtyard.

"girl whyd you do all that? i already told you his name." f/n states.

"you did?" i furrow my brows in confusion, trying to remember when she told me.

"frank portillo." she mumbled.

"OH YEAH! i forgot." i laugh and open my phone, heading to instagram.

I immediately find his account, only to find a "follow back."

when the fuck did this guy follow me?

i check my notifications just in case but it clearly wasnt now, or recent at all.