Chapter 8.

Advanced Nurturing High School, or ANHS for short. This distinguished institution in Japan stood as the epitome of excellence, a beacon of academic and intellectual distinction. 

Throughout its storied history, it had been instrumental in shaping the nation's most prominent statesmen, visionary scholars, and accomplished medical practitioners. The illustrious alumni of this high school had made unparalleled contributions, adorning Japan with a resplendent tapestry of achievements, distinction and pride.

However, this represented only one facet of the story---single side of the coin. 

When confronted with the narrative of an institution consistently nurturing such exceptional, well-rounded students year after year, who excelled not only in education but also the general outlook of the world outside. 

It became inevitable to scrutinise the underlying curriculum and decorum. Every aspect eventually becomes subjected to meticulous examination.

The same level of scrutiny held true for the esteemed ANHS. 

This prestigious high school served as a crucible for the forging of bonds, where friendships blossomed, and love ignited with an intense fervor. Yet, it also bore witness to heart-wrenching breakups, unscrupulous backstabbings, and the relentless pursuit of immoral tactics and loopholes within the ostensibly "extremely strict" system, at times even descending into physical altercations---violence.

Admiration and love shared space with desire, lust, envy, scorn, and hate, creating a complex, turbulent maelstrom of emotions that thrived like wildflowers inside the garden named ANHS.  

And that exact reason made it the breeding ground for the birth and formation of new Cursed Spirits. The whole school was infested by extremely high amounts of Cursed Energy, born out of the negative emotions---students and teachers alike. 

"Well then, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. This is your mission. Exorcise the 1st grade spirit here to officially become a 1st grade sorcerer." The man who had taken me under his protection for almost a year now, Gojo Satoru spoke, flashing his pearl white teeth. 

"Isn't this kind of discriminatory?" I asked, leaning my back against the bench as the heavy snowfall continued to fall down, weighing down on my shoulders like a wet blanket. 

It was a tad bit prejudiced. Normally, a person becomes 1st Grade Sorcerer when two Grade 1 sorcerers file a recommendation for them. Following the counsel, that specified person is sent on a mission to determine whether they are worthy of the title or not by making a different Grade 1 sorcerer accompany them. 

This is done to avoid bias and discrimination. 

However...

"Is it? Well, who cares? Come on, come on. Let's get this going." Gojo sensei stood up, laughing as a cloud of mist escaped his mouth. 

"I do." I replied. 

Given his personality, he most probably has problems with the authorities. Not only does my recommendation comprise of a single individual, but I don't see any other person to test me. Seems like he has broken every rule to get me a rank. Not like they could do much about it. 

He was someone who the higher ups could not contain. Unless a man hunt was issued. Even then it seems highly unlikely. However, the biggest drawback of this promotion would be me falling on to their radar. They'd definitely target me. 

"And why is that?" He asked as the snow formed a small layer around his body, not entirely touching him. 

Hm?

"I don't think I qualify as a Grade 1 sorcerer." I replied. 

Suddenly, a smile flashed on his face. "So, you know your limits. That's a good sign. I wouldn't have mind giving you a higher rank anyways. But it is quite nice to see you knowing about your short comings." He spoke with a content expression. Looking up at the sky, a smile formed on his face. "Rank is a mere decoration."