training

the next day I woke up to a call from Poppy, I picked up the phone "h-hello?" I ask, my voice strained from last nights few drinks I took while my mum wasn't watching "hey Autumn, wake Summer up and get dressed into training clothes, we have to go to the gym, we're meeting our new coach and starting straining today" Poppy explained over the phone. I groaned loudly "ugh training...o-kay then, I'm up and getting Summer" I say in a hushed tone, even though I only had a couple beers I had the absolute biggest hangover. "see ya soon, hey can Manu come get Summer and I?" I ask before we end the call "yeah of course!" Poppy replies in a cheerful tone "thanks Pops, see you soon" I hang up and go into Summer's room. I go to nudge her gently and wake her up but I stop myself and let a mischievous smirk spread across my face, I back up to the door and get a run up, jumping on top of Summer "ARGH!" Summer screamed as she started struggling to sit up, I finally got off "haha! your hair's a birds nest!" I shout laughing at her "yeah. no thanks to you Autumn" she grumbles and pouts "awwhh, poor baby Sum-Sum. c'mon get up we have training today, we're meeting our new coach" I smile at her "yep. yep. I'm goin" she says slowly standing and making her bed.

Manu pulls up outside the gym "cheers Manu" I say before closing the door of the minivan, Manu then drives off as we all wave to him "poor Manu" Summer pouts "yeah I feel bad for him, he's the best coach" Poppy says sadly watching her brother drive off "exactly, no way this coach is even close to as good as Manu" I add as Poppy and Bodhi nod in agreement. we were suddenly cut off by an annoying squeaky voice "over here team!" Wren squeals waving to us, Ari smiles and starts walking over to her. "go ahead, run to her" Summer mumbles under her breath but we all heard her "what's that?" Ari asks turning back around to Summer. "Wren called Summer and Autumn entitled brats to their faces" Poppy blurted "I'm sure she didn't mean it" Ari sighs. I scoff at him "ugh sure" I whisper before we all walk into the gym.

the new coach is kicking a pad that Griff is holding onto for her. A few small kicks then one hard one, knocking Griff over. I tried to contain my laughter but a small chuckle escaped my mouth "okay is everybody here?" she asks looking around "great" she then introduces herself "I'm Elo Radic, your new coach" she smiles a bit before I hear Wren's annoying voice add onto Elo's announcement in a whisper "and my sister" she smirks at Summer and I "great" Summer whispers to me and I nod in agreement with wide eyes

we get to training straight away and listen to Elo as she speaks to us "well congratulations on making the Victorian state team. that's no small feat. it's just a shame that you guys haven't brought home a national title in, what is it, 20 years?" I roll my eyes at her as she continues to speak "but lucky for you, I coached team Queensland to the winning podium 3 years running" she's practically bragging at this point, I'm just happy she wasn't my coach when I lived back in Queensland "the reality is, surfing is an individual sport. and it's my job, to work out what drives you, to bring out your very best on the water" she babbles on as I catch sight of Baxter walking into the gym with a denim jacket with no sleeves and white sunnies. I catch myself day dreaming a bit but Griff's voice snaps me out of it "hey coach, what's Sousa doing here? he didn't make the cut" Griff asks in an arrogant way "Marlon and Summer are our subs. Back-ups in case of injury. or if I decide you're out of your depth" she says looking at Griff with a slightly surprised face "come on, guys! let's go!" she shouts at us in a 'motivating' way

Baxter approaches the group "ah, sorry sis" he says taking off his sunnies and jacket "did I miss your bit inspirational speech?" he asks her with a cocky look on his face, she stares at him for a moment "burpees. now." she breaks the silence. Baxter looks over at me and winks, his face turning into a wide smile. I smile at him softly and nod before Elo adds to her latest announcement "all of you. until I say other wise". Soon after we finished our burpees, Elo got Ari and Baxter to have a race in climbing a rope, Baxter so obviously won by like a mile. after the climbing races we went to the trampoline, Elo placed a mat in the foam pit in front of the trampoline "alright so 10 years ago, aerial surfing was underground. And now it's pretty much expected on the men's tour. And by the time you guys turn pro, air revs and full rotations, they're gonna to be expected for the girls too" she says as Wren makes her way onto the trampoline and starts jumping, gaining height. "right? so let's see what you've got" Wren goes to do a front flip looking thing, I couldn't really tell 'cause she crashed and burned "bit of an anti-climax" Poppy whispered to me and I chuckled quietly. "you're not even trying. I expect a lot more from my team captain" Elo says looking at Wren as she gets up and walks towards her sister "I don't need airs to win heats" she says in a sassy way "guess our fearless captain can't do everything" Summer calls out, Wren and Elo look over to her and I smile. "go on America, show us your stuff" Marlon cheers. Summer started jumping on the trampoline and did a twist and flip. I clapped and cheered for her "whoo!" I shouted as she landed and smiled widely "yes, Summer! good technique. that's more like it!" Elo claps a couple times as she praises Summer "I wanna see timing and control, Bax you're up" after training we went for a quick surf and then headed home, or to our rented out 'party house' as Summer would call it.