Team Bonding

"come on ma, please!" Summer whines "no Summer, no parties" mum replies to her in a firm voice before I step in "okay ma, not a party, a team bonding. I'll make sure everything runs smoothly" I smile as my mum raises her eyebrows at me "you, the biggest trouble maker of the two of you, will make sure everything runs smoothly?" she says in a questioning tone. I nod "I am the older one after all" I place my hand on mums shoulder "trust me Margot, I got this." She sighs "fine, but be careful. everything stays outside and only you and Summer can use the barbeque okay?" she asks firmly "yes ma'am" I say saluting at her "okay" she responds "I'm going to Abbie and Thommo's they've set up I date for me" she rolls her eyes "pfft" I chuckle looking at my mums cold expression "oh you're serious..." I stop smiling for a moment "well...have fun" I say behind her back as Summer and I giggle quietly

A while into the party everyone was having fun, Summer, Poppy and I dragged the trampoline in front of the pool to 'practise' some airs. I go up first and do a perfect air scoring three easy 10 pointers, Summer goes next and Wren walks over as she's getting ready to jump "hey cap" Summer waves looking down at Wren "just practising some airs" she smiles and jumps off earning 3 8 pointers, Wren bends down at the edge of the pool and Summer swims over "why don't you do it again?" she says "maybe this time you'll smash a kneecap" she whispers "oh what's that Wren?" Summer shouts loudly "of course you can have a go!" she pats Wren's knee. I smile at my sisters actions as I watch her and Wren get onto the trampoline. Summer starts jumping to help Wren get higher "okay so all you need is three tens to tie with Autumn's amazing score" she smiles looking over at me. Wren goes for the air and messes up, everyone starts booing and she's under the water for a few moments, Ari stands by the edge of the pool staring in horror. Summer jumps off the trampoline and looks into the water. Wren finally emerges "I hit the bottom" she swims over to Ari "oh my god, oh my god it's my ankle!" she whimpers as Ari helps her out.

After a while it got dark, the party was still going and Summer and Poppy went into Summer's room to talk. I watched as Ari iced Wren's ankle "here I'll go get some more" He smiled sweetly at her before hopping up and heading to the esky, I meet him there "I'm really worried for that girl" I whisper to him "oh she'll be fine, it's just a sprain" Ari reassures me "no I mean she's faking it to make Summer look bad" I look at him seriously "no. no Autumn just stop!" he says firmly "do you ever think maybe Summer's the problem!?" I stare at him "hey! you can't say that about Summer. all she's ever done was be there for you and help you! help you get to finals, help you with your anxiety!" he sighs "I know, I know. and I thank her for all of that but...none of this is Wren's fault" he says walking back to her. I stare at them for a few moments until I feel a hand on my head, I turn to the side to see Baxter looking down at me "wow! you look hangry!" he says in a cocky tone "maybe I should make you a burger or something" he keeps looking at me "shouldn't you be looking after your sister?" I ask "meh, she's got Ari" he looks over at them seeming to not care much. after a bit I walk over to the barbeque where Baxter's down on his knees looking something over, when he sees me he speaks up "she's not workin" he says getting off his knees "here let me try" I say pushing the button multiple times "oh my god, nothing" he says in a sarcastic way. I starts kicking the metal barrel used for the barbeque "hey hey, easy with it" Baxter says suddenly, putting his arm in front of me, he taps the button a few more times and 'boom'. it exploded setting fire to the straw roof above it. Baxter grabbed my arm and pulled me back, we ran out of the little shack and watched as the fire engulfed the straw roof "this isn't...this isn't my fault. this can't be my fault, right?" Baxter stuttered a bit looking stunned "nope" I sighed "this is all me"

my mum got home with her date, she saw the fire brigade parked outside the house and ran into the backyard where Summer and I were talking to the fire-fighters "yep, yep stick your pinky and thumb out, leave your other fingers tucked" Summer explained "yeah and then shake" I added "you could also add a little 'ahh'" Summer said as we both stuck our tongues out "what happened here!?" Margot shouted, the fire-fighters got back to work "go inside Summer" I whisper to my sister as I approach my mum "the barbeque exploded, it was all me, I got angry and kicked the barrel...I'm sorry ma..." I mumble "sorry doesn't cut it! you know this isn't our house right! this whole place must cost a fortune! what money do you expect me to pay these people back with!?" she screams at me "ma I'm sor-" she cut me off before I could finish my sentence "off to bed...NOW!" I sighs and walk off getting dressed and plopping down onto my bed, before I fell asleep my mum opened the door and said "also, you're not going to the competition tomorrow" she slammed the door shut and stomped off loudly down the hall

the next morning we headed over to the Gibsons, mum knocked on the door and Thommo answered "hey Thommo, look we got kicked out of our rented house due to an...accident" she said looking back at me "so, we were wondering if we could stay here. just for the time being, until we find another arrangement?" Margot asked "of course" Thommo gave in straight away. we got settled in and I set up a sleeping bag on the floor since that's where I'd be sleeping. Summer and Ari got ready and headed to the competition which I didn't get to go to. but hey, at least Summer got to surf since I wasn't there. she came back to happy and I started wondering, maybe I should quit the state team if it guarantees my baby sister happiness...