Chapter 38

Everything, and done.

March 28th, 2023

March 28th, 2023

I'm scared as I stand inside the bathroom of the patient room, they had moved us to. Arlo sits outside, waiting for me.

His reaction was pure shock and after learning that I was pregnant. I kept avoiding talking to him until I took a test on my own. I mean they said I was positive, but I wanted to see it with my own eyes. I was afraid of what he had to say about the topic.

I've already taken the test, letting it sit on the countertop as it processes. I'm scared to my core and it's not because I don't want the child. I'm scared because I don't know how Arlo is going to react.

I hear a knock that causes me to jump. "Val, please can we talk? Open the door." Arlo's voice is a bit muffled from behind the door. Worry in his tone.

I stand there for a minute more, waiting to see if he walks away at all from the door but he doesn't. I stare at his shadow underneath.

I budge and walk over and unlock the door. He stands there with his arm against the archway. His eyebrows are drawn together as he looks down at me. My lip quivers in fear. Or in despair. I couldn't tell.

Fuck, what if this is where all this happiness goes wrong. This is where everything goes into shit... doesn't it?

"Did you check it?" His voice is soft, and I shake my head no. Eyes wide, attempting to make my tears go away.

"What's wrong?" He now questions. He extends his arms out towards me and brings me towards his body.  As I release the tears I've been holding back, I cozy up to his torso.

"I'm scared this might make us get thrown out of balance. I just had my life together and I fall pregnant. I don't want this to be the end of all things good." I weep into his arms. A baby is a precious thing and I've always wanted to be a mother but with all the trauma I've endured these months, all I could think about, is all of that going down the drain for me.

"Valentina. You are the love of my life and honestly having a child with you is a blessing. This will do nothing but strengthen us, my love. None of this will ever go downhill again." He assures me and, in this moment, I haven't been as sure of anything as I am now.

"Do you mean that?" My warm tears stream down my cheeks as I look up at him. My arms tight around his torso.  "Yes, I really do. Valentina I've been scared of ever finding love and having a family of my own for far too long; Because of my father and what I went through. But I'm ready to do everything with you. I'm ready for all of this." He tells me as he plants kisses all over my face.

I nod my head, taking in his words. He always knows what to say. Since the beginning he's always known.

We release each other and I walk over to the test. Picking it up off the counter, I bring it back to where he stands. We both gaze down at screen, together.