Chapter 12

Laura found herself amidst a vast sea of disciplined citizens of Government City, each one moving with a harmonious rhythm, like a well-choreographed ballet. The sheer magnitude of the crowd was overwhelming for Laura, a stark contrast to her previous life, inducing a twinge of anxiety.

Dressed in muted hues of corporate attire, the workers funnelled into a grand courtyard for the gathering. Towering buildings, adorned with climbing plants yearning for freedom, framed the open space.

Walking alongside Melanie, her mentor, Laura felt a sense of déjà vu, reminiscent of navigating high school hallways filled with students. Fleeting memories flashed before her eyes—the colour of her old lockers, the click-clack of her shoes on linoleum floors. Men in suits triggered painful recollections of the agent who had delivered the news of Jacob's sentence.

Melanie led her towards the front, where Laura noticed a peculiar uniformity among the women. Their hair neatly tied back, all dressed in identical black pantsuits, erasing any hint of individuality.

The Head of Government took the stage, a face Laura had seen countless times across various media. His voice, filled with gravitas, initially seemed distant to her. She was lost in her thoughts when a particular line from his speech jolted her back to the present. "It is with regret that I advise you we have suffered losses in this war." His gaze seemed to pierce through the crowd, locking onto Laura's. She felt exposed, singled out, her heart racing.

Laura's eyes widened. "The enemy attacked our children as they travelled by train." It was like a blow to the gut to hear those words. "Today, I announce that one survivor joins us. We stand here in solidarity, with our hands on our hearts, we send our sympathies to the families who have experienced an unimaginable loss." Her heart echoed in her chest, each beat a sombre reminder of his grave proclamation.

The weight of being a living testament to the enemy's brutality pressed down on her. She felt trapped, a pawn in a political game.

A surge of adrenaline coursed through Laura. Her instincts were screaming, a primal urge to escape this orchestrated spectacle. She retreated a step, only to feel Melanie's grip on her arm. Their eyes met, and in that moment, a self-made vow resurfaced in her consciousness: she would not be anyone's marionette. And yet, here she was, transformed into a symbol of the enemy's heinous acts, a living embodiment of anguish.

With every fibre of her being, Laura wrested her arm from Melanie's hold. She began to navigate through the crowd. But her attempted escape was ephemeral. Melanie, her whisper imbued with urgency, regained her hold on Laura. "Laura, you can't leave. We have to stay until the end," Melanie asserted, her gaze shifting past Laura for a moment.

Suddenly, the atmosphere changed. The crowd's focus shifted, and Laura followed. There he was—Graeme Ferguson, the Head of Government, the man whose portrait adorned every classroom, every public space. The man who held the reins of their lives.

Time seemed to stand still as their eyes met. "You must be Laura," he said, his voice imbued with a solemn gravity that struck a chord deep within her.

She was at a loss for words, her mouth opening but no sound escaping. How could she speak to a man who wielded the power of life and death with a mere signature?

"I am sorry for your loss," he continued.

His magnetic gaze pulled her into a shared, silence moment. It was then that another figure stepped into her line of sight—a man whose face triggered a cascade of memories. This was the man who had argued with her father, and had visited Jacob's family, the man labelled a rebel by the commander.

As a wave of nausea swept over her, Ferguson's hand touched her cheek gently, pulling her back from the precipice of her thoughts. "I know this is a great loss for you, but the community has given you to us, and we will protect you. No one can harm you here," he assured her.

His words were comforting, almost paternal, and for a moment, she wanted to believe him.

But the agent's eyes were like lasers, cutting through her momentary sense of security. "I don't understand how she got here. There was no government intake at the time of her move."

Ferguson removed his hand from Laura's cheek. "Agent 411 made the arrangements," he said, his voice steady.

The agent was quick to counter. "Then I think we should review this arrangement. I don't think it's appropriate for a traitor to have sponsored entry into Government City, especially given what this girl is reported to have done."

"I am aware of the event in question," Ferguson said. "I have no reason to distrust 411."

The agent pressed on. "If the agent is a traitor, then we have to assume anything she's authorised is compromised."

Laura's voice was barely above a whisper. "Please don't."

Ferguson's hand returned to her arm, his grip reassuring. "Your community was attacked. Rest assured, we will protect you where we could not protect them. My decision is final," Ferguson declared, his eyes locking onto the agent's with a look of unyielding authority.

Shortly after, Laura was allowed to leave with Melanie. But as they walked away, her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and fears. This man, this agent, had the power to unravel her life with a single word. And yet, Ferguson had stood by her, at least for now.

As they left the gathering, Laura couldn't shake the feeling that she had just walked a tightrope over an abyss. And though she had made it to the other side, the chasm remained, dark and unfathomable, waiting for her next step.