Goodbyes

A few weeks later, it's February 1st, the three of us are standing in the parking lot of Peter's school. It's a few minutes before 9:00 a.m. and therefore a few minutes before Peter's class will leave for the airport. Since Peter is starting his trip to Europe with his class today, that means me and James will also be starting your trip to Iceland today. As soon as Peter's class is on the way, we will make our way to a private airport, from where we will fly to Iceland on Tony's private jet - James only revealed to me a few days ago that we will be flying on the private jet. I am dead tired and therefore a bit of an emotional wreck. Yesterday it seemed like a good idea to stay up all night so i could sleep on the plane and not have such a big jet leg. Right now, though, i could be slapping myself for it. As if i weren't already emotional enough because i won't see my brother for four weeks starting today. We have never been without each other for so long. For the third time i pull Peter close and hug him tightly - even though he asked me not to embarrass him in front of his classmates after the first time.

Victoria: I wish you a lot of fun in Europe. And don't do anything I wouldn't do.

Peter: So I can do whatever I want?

Victoria: As long as it doesn't get you in trouble, yes.

Peter: Like I've ever gotten myself into trouble before.

God, I'm going to miss my little - admittedly, not so little anymore - brother so much.

Victoria: I'll miss you so much, Peter.

Peter: I'll miss you too. But in the end it's only four weeks.

Victoria: ONLY four weeks?! That's an eternity.

Peter: I'll be back sooner than you think. Besides, you have a trip to Iceland with Bucky ahead of you, so you don't have time to miss me.

Bucky: Exactly. And I heard this Bucky is a really great guy and has really cool things planned.

It's the first time he's said anything since we've been here. He wraps his arms around me from behind and pulls me close.

Victoria: Yeah....... he's pretty cool.

I lean my head back and Bucky's lips find mine.

Peter: Ok... gross. Now I feel sick before I even get on the plane.

Giggling, we break apart just as Ned strolls over to us.

Ned: Hey buddy. Hey Vicky, hey Vicky's boyfriend.

Victoria: Hey Ned. Are you looking forward to your trip?

Ned: Oh yes, I've always wanted to go to Europe. And the fact that I now have the chance to go to Europe with my best friend makes the whole thing even cooler.

Ned excitedly tells us about all the places they will visit in the different countries. The world desperately needs more young people like my brother and Ned. Young people who are interested in the world and whose lives don't just take place on social media platforms. As I listen to him, my eyes fall on a girl who is moving towards us, somewhat shyly. It takes me a moment to remember where I saw her before - on the evening of our moving-out party. She was the girl in Peter's room when we checked on him again before we went to our room. Mj, the girl my brother definitely has a crush on.

Mj: Hey um... Peter, Ned... um... I'm supposed to tell you we're leaving in five minutes.

Peter: Ok...thanks Mj.

From the way Peter pines after her as she walks away, there's absolutely no doubt that he's not just smitten, but in love.

Victoria: Come on boys, go to the rest of your class before they leave without you.

Peter: Ok, I hope you two have a lot of fun in Iceland. See you in four weeks.

To my surprise, Peter first gives Bucky a quick hug - even though we're kind of a family now, that's nothing the two of them actually do - before hugging me one last time. He then grabs Ned, who waves and says goodbye as they walk away. As soon as the two are out of sight, I link my arm with Bucky's and we make our way back to the car.

Bucky: That Ned definitely has a crush on you.

Victoria: What? How do you come up with that?

Bucky: The way he looked at you. Sure thing - totally in love with you.

Victoria: You're exaggerating. I'm just his best friend's cool older sister.

Bucky: Never. If I exaggerate, you're blind.

Victoria: It almost sounds like you're jealous.

I tease, giving him a meaningful look. Even if Ned had a little crush on me, what would that mean? Nothing. We've all had a crush on someone older than us at some point when we were teenagers.

Bucky: Me and jealous? Never.

Victoria: Sure? Maybe it's true and I plan to leave you for him.

I continue to tease him.

Bucky: You would never do that.

Victoria: And why wouldn't I do that?

I loosen my arm around his, look at him challengingly and stop walking.

Bucky: Thats simple. You love me and I love you - more than anything.

Victoria: Sounds good, but I'm not completely convinced yet.

The next moment Bucky has pulled me into his arms and is lifting my face with one hand.

Bucky: Well, I'm doing this thing you love so much.

Ok, that's an unbeatable reason. This thing contains him, sending every inch of my body into absolute ecstasy.

Victoria: Maybe I'll be persuaded if you do this thing as soon as we get on the plane?

Bucky: Let's go then.

The next moment we are in the car and on the way to the private airport. The fact that we will be completely undisturbed on the plane makes me tingly with anticipation. Even if Tony wouldn't like what we're going to do on his jet. But what he doesn't know...