Chapter 6

The morning chime went off like a gong in her head, followed by the drumming of her pulse. She felt anything but refreshed the next morning. When the maid tied back the drapes, she begged the girl to close the curtains. Her hand shook as she drank her tea, but it did not rejuvenate her as it did the previous morning. So Santi closed her eyes and fell asleep again.

She woke to voices murmuring in the background. A doctor had her hand raised so he could time her pulse and smiled when she opened her eyes.

"Just a little head-cold. You are warm, but nothing alarming. Bed rest is the best remedy, but I will leave a tonic to help you regain some strength."

Her mouth refused to produce a single drop of saliva to wet her throat, so she croaked her thanks. She requested a few minutes of privacy, but Mrs. Sphere stayed to help her to the chamber pot and then washed away the night's sweat before dressing her in a fresh nightgown. Santi drank a glass of water while Mrs. Sphere straightened her sheets. As soon as Mrs. Sphere had her tucked into bed again, she gave Santi another glass of water and ordered a bowl of broth and bread.

The poor woman felt horrid. She felt it was her duty to protect Santi, and now believe she had failed. Though Santi tried to placate the woman, she insisted she should have ensured Santi had a warmer coat or closed her properly on the trip home. Santi's illness confirmed she had not done her duty as Santi's guardian.

Murai and an attendant brought a tray for each of them, and the women enjoyed their lunch on Santi's bed. Once the doctor assured himself the food remained in her stomach, he gave instruction for Santi to take the tonic before she went to sleep and again in the morning, and then left.

Santi apologized for ruining everyone's day, but Mrs. Sphere would have none of it. She had sent a detailed note to the seamstress so Santi would have her dress for the party. Murai assured her she had her day out. Her friends came to fetch her, and she found material to alter a few of her day dresses as Santi had done. With her mother's help, of course, since she did not have their talent with a needle and thread.

"I am much better at drawing dresses than making them," she had confessed. "But Papa promised to buy me a Muster. Maybe we can make dresses together."

To her dismay, Mrs. Sphere said, "I invited the Leigh and Father Sal to the party."

"Oh, Mrs. Sphere. I wish you had not. I am almost certain they are not on good terms."

She explained what had happened at the gallery, and Murai confirmed it.

"I have never heard a clergyman speak so brusquely, or seen a man so aggressive in forcing his attentions on someone. The more we tried to avoid him, the more he seemed to seek us out," Murai said. "And every time one of my friends tried to get near us, he blocked their path. Eventually, we called them over deliberately when we saw him coming closer. I think they realized why we continued to call them, so they started intercepting the priest for us."

"I wish you had told me that sooner. The man waited here an hour for Santi to wake, but I eventually told him he would see her at the party tomorrow, just to get him to leave. And I had to invite Arjun Gust when I invited his uncle."

"Oh, I am quite skilled at ignoring and avoiding people, especially those I abhor. I cannot forgive him for what he did and is doing to my sisters."

"Do you really think he broke Ela's heart, Santi? I know she loved Daruk."

"She did. I think she loved Car-Arjun too, though. I cannot know her mind, but I have thought about it. She probably could not decide between the two and before she chose one, Pen ruined everything. Both men broke her heart when they turned their attentions away from her. I hope she finds love again. She deserves it. I have never met a more loving and considerate person, who would give up her free time to care for her father, and allow a silly girl like me to go meet the neighbors and friends. I offered to remain with our father, so I could get to know him, but she would hear nothing of it."