16. Anxiety

Larry

Something is going on with Gemma. I can see that she's not her usual self. Am I wrong for taking her out of the country? Is she currently struggling with her eating disorder?

I need to get my focus back on the morning meeting. In this case a meeting with Samuel Chong's company, where I'm being introduced to several of his board members and key executive officers. I know his company will open more doors, even Dad couldn't contain his excitement when he congratulated me for landing the new contract.

Though my eyes were not on the contract, mine was to expand Richardson Worldwide throughout Asia. Ambitious, I know. But as always I need to lay my groundwork, and getting in with the Chong's will be the first. I know they have several branches in Hong Kong and several more planned throughout Southeast Asia.

Our Hong Kong office has been established for a couple of years now, but our client base hasn't expanded a great deal. We were mostly there to cater to the companies that have already been our clients for decades, so our expansion is a given to follow through with our client's growth.

Now, I want to start opening doors. I want local companies to start considering us though we are a foreign company. I just need to get into Samuel's good graces and make sure he's happy with what our company is offering. Happy enough that he'll start recommending us to his colleagues.

When the meeting finally ended just before lunchtime, I decided to call May Lee, the assistant who is working with me at Richardson Worldwide - Hong Kong. I need her to set up lunch and get a driver to pick up Gemma from our suite. I have less than three hours before my next meeting and I'm hoping to squeeze in time for lunch with my girlfriend.

"...yes, just tell Ms. Cohen that it's a lunch date. And May, please book us lunch somewhere that's elegant and serves excellent food. If possible in this building or around the area. I have a meeting at three and I don't want to be late."

May Lee has been great for as long as I can remember her working with me. She manages all my schedule, and correspondence, and translates everything I need.

"Of course Mr. Richardson, I'll set it up right away. I'll text you the restaurant details once I'm done."

I'm confident that she'll get everything settled in time, now all I have to do is finish replying to all these emails and then go to the restaurant, preferably before Gemma arrives.

Twenty minutes later I reach the fine dining restaurant. It was on the top floor, still in the same building as our branch office. And I'm pleased to learn that May managed to reserve a semi-private table for us. My day felt better already knowing I'll be seeing Gemma soon. I should've done this yesterday too, but I know I will set up lunch again with her, every day, until our last day in Hong Kong.

"Larry," Gemma greets as she reaches our table. I get up to kiss her cheek and help her to her seat.

"You look beautiful."

"Thank you."

My eyes are still giving her a once-over when she puts her hand on mine.

"You do realize that May Lee knows my full name, don't you? Now, she knows I'm your PA who is staying at your suite and invited for lunch at this posh restaurant. The kind of restaurant you'd bring your dates to?"

"Oh damn it." I cursed, putting a hand on my mouth knowing I screwed up and I have to email HR and make sure they know this from me.

Like right fucking now.

"Ok. Why don't you order our lunch while I write a quick email to HR." I say gently to her when I see a waiter approaching our table with two menus in his hand.