36. New Friend

Larry

Summer in Amsterdam makes me remember the time that Gemma and I spent at the park. Yes, flowers...there are flowers. Lots and lots of flowers for my liking. And there are people kissing, ugh...maybe I need to skip Amsterdam.

I wanted to leave, but I didn't. Instead, I got drunk and drunk-dialed Gemma. I don't know why, but I just can't delete her number. I may be a little too freaked out when the call comes through, I thought she blocked my number by now. But she didn't and I don't know what the fuck I am going to say when she answers my call. So, I tell her that I am sorry and that I love her before I fucking hang up on her like a coward.

Fuck,
Fuck,
Fuck!

"Larry, how long are you going to do this?" Alix asks the second she comes into my living room. Yes, months after she was sent to check up on me we have become friends. One desperate night she confessed that she had been secretly in love with one of her brother's bodyguards who was also his best friend. But since it was frowned upon to have a relationship with the help she cut her ties and now she's as miserable as I am.

"How long are you going to stay away from your man?" I ask her back knowing it'll irritate her. Alix had agreed to move in with me to my family's apartment in Amsterdam. She finally agreed to come stay with me when I pointed out that with her condition, she needed someone in case of an emergency.

"You know I can't answer that. I'm like a whale. I'm pregnant with his baby. If I do get back to him, won't he question my baby?"

"Pfft...a simple paternity test will do the deed." I wave my hand, quickly dismissing her question. I know why she came for me months earlier. I was pissed at her and at my brother who gave her my whereabouts. But she apparently had played my brother, telling him that she was pregnant with my baby. At first, I was upset that Tyler believed Alix's words rather than talk to me first, but then maybe he remembered how I was after Gemma left me. Hell, if I know what was behind Tyler's reasoning, maybe he was trying to get me all pissed off at him that I'd go home to confront him.

Damn him...

Everything has been such a mess since then. The day she arrived and begged me not to tell the truth about her situation, I was seconds from sending her back. But when she broke down and cried, I knew I just couldn't do that to Alix. She really thought that her family might harm her baby daddy if they found out about her affair. She also didn't want them to terminate her pregnancy. I was dumbfounded when she told me that they might actually force her to do so.

And that is why she had been hiding in Amsterdam with me while both of us wallowed in our miserable lives.

It's true what they say, misery loves company.

"I'm just saying you need to stop drinking. It's been two days."

"Alix, darling, it's the weekend. You know I'll be in top shape when Monday comes."

"Meh, I'm just afraid someone will come bursting in and I'll be too worried about your state of intoxication to explain my condition."

"Baby momma, I may be drunk but I'm not that drunk. I'll have you know, that I have a high tolerance for alcohol."

"I know you do, that's why I'm worried about you."

"What do you want me to say,"

"If it's up to me, I'd say you should go back to Gemma and make things right. I still don't know why you'd let her leave."

"Alix, thank you for your confidence in me," I pause to refill my Scotch and take a sip of the fine liquor. "But, she left me..."

"I know! And now you're trotting around Europe licking your wounds."