23. Domesticity

Larry

Did she...did she just say that she loved me?

At first, I don't know what to say about it. Of course, I get instantly alert and the whole orgasm bliss is gone in seconds in exchange for a deep possessive thump in my heart. I pull her closer in my arms and rest on my side, on my oversized living room sofa. Her breathing is steady, I smile knowing she's fast asleep.

I notice the faint dark circles under her eyes as I watch her taking her after-sex nap. Did I cause that? Did she really fly back and stay with her dad because I work too much? Was she upset but didn't want to let me down?

Sleep doesn't come for me, so I get up very slowly trying to ignore the light headache, and walk to the kitchen to get some water. Yeah, no coffee and alcohol, I hate being sick.

Maybe it's the pills but I fall back easily to sleep less than fifteen minutes later and wake up as the sky is getting dark. "Hey sleepy head, you're up," Gemma says with a kiss on my cheek. She looks better, she looks like she just got the best sleep in the last few days. It makes me feel guilty, but I keep my emotions hidden and wrap my arms around her instead.

"Mhmm...don't leave me, I missed you."

"Larry, I need to prepare dinner."

"Get my phone, we'll order in. You can even pick the menu." I whisper on the crook of her neck while inhaling her scent that I've been missing for the last couple of days. God...what I'd give to wake up with her every day.

"Alright, I'm picking out our menu, no Chinese food, no Pizza, I'll get us some plain mashed potatoes and chicken salad, chicken soup,"

I groan when she goes on about ordering groceries while she takes over my phone. There's an easiness about the way she takes charge of my dietary menu. The way she pays attention to my well-being, it doesn't make me nervous. It surprised me in a good way that I find myself liking it.

"You're making me lose weight, I'm going to lose my muscle mass."

"Larry, stop being so vain. You're more than your looks."

Aww...shit, she's going in from all corners. She's going to make me kneel and fucking cherish her for loving me for my shitty self.

"So, it's true then, you love me? I heard it when you fell asleep earlier."

"Um, you did?" She looked adorably nervous, but then she cleared her throat before saying, "Well, I heard you say it first. You know...when you call me, half dying, telling me to call your doctor."

Okay. This is too damn cute. Did I say it in my delirious state? I feel like I have this foreign feeling in my chest, can my brain recognize it as love and decide to blurt it out while my head is half spinning from vertigo? Well...maybe I did. I decided to search within me if I felt uncomfortable with being in love with her. Was she lying to me?

But it only takes me seconds to realize that I am okay with it. Mm, I love her. Well, okay then...I think I can work with that.

"So you decided to return the favor and say that you love me too when you think I wouldn't hear it?"

"Again, you're overanalyzing this, Larry. Okay, I have feelings for you. Deep, passionate feel, that may or may not be love. I have no idea. I've never felt this with anyone before. And...and because of that, I'm ordering you garlic bread while I get bruschetta!" She huffs, her cheeks blushing, as she types furiously on my phone before giving it to me to pay and finish the transaction.

I am grinning from ear to ear and pull her flat to my chest. "I love you, Gemma. Will you share that bruschetta with me?"

That gets her to laugh, and the sound makes my inside sing. Yep. Sappy. But, hey...maybe that's what people in love do, they get all mushy and just, nghh...I hope this new feel won't get me singing like I'm living in a musical.