31. Unsuspected surprise

Gemma

The weekend come and gone and I haven't had the courage to call Larry and break up with him. I've seen his texts, though I deleted his voicemails since it hurts too much to hear his voice. After Dad sent him away, the text messages and the calls had stopped. Maybe it was that easy for him to forget about us or maybe it was easier to just be with Alix instead of working things out with his family to be with me.

Ugh...who are you kidding, Gemma? Alix is so much better than you.

Maybe he's not really in love with me. Maybe he thinks dealing with Alix is much easier than fighting for our love. It hurts though. It hurts so much that I barely get out of bed by Monday morning.

While Mom did keep me busy with her wedding preparations throughout the weekend, I still missed Larry. So much. I tried to be a supportive daughter for her, but Mom knows me too well. She didn't once ask about Larry since I was certain that Dad and Edwin had kept her up to date with my situation. She got me involved in her wedding preparation just enough so that my mind would focus on something other than my heartbreak but wouldn't annoy me with her happiness.

I don't feel so good when morning comes, I feel lightheaded. If Edwin hadn't actually waited on me and fed me for the last couple of days, I know I'd be in serious trouble by now. But he kept calm as he helped me deal with my breakdown when Dad was too worried and nervous every time he checked on me.

"Gemma, you don't look so good, Honey. Here, drink your hot coffee then we'll get you something to eat." Edwin put the cup of coffee on my side table. His hand goes to my forehead, subtly checking my temperature. "Why don't the three of us go out? Maybe get a continental breakfast or simple old fashioned diner style breakfast?" I was going to shake my head and decline his offer when the sweet smell of coffee which usually calms my senses made my stomach churn and I quickly ran to the bathroom to vomit. I end up retching since I haven't got anything in my system just yet.

Edwin is still waiting in my bedroom. He is sitting on the edge of my bed, though my cup of coffee is nowhere to be seen.

"Gemma, sit. Honey, talk to me."

"Um...what do you mean?" As much as I enjoy his company, I want nothing more but to crawl under the cover and sleep the day away.

"How far along are you?"

"W-what...do you mean?"

"Oh...sorry, I thought you knew. Oh shit, I need to talk to your dad."

"No, Edwin...what's wrong?" Honestly, I don't like how he looks all worried for me. It makes me just want to throw up again and that was exactly what I do.

After brushing my teeth and then gurgling another round of mouthwash, I find my bedroom empty. I want to find Edwin and ask him about earlier, but I am too tired to do it. My body is failing me so I continue to slip under the cover and close my eyes. Only to be shaken awake minutes later.

"Sweety, Gemma, it's Dad."

I feel Dad's warm lips on my forehead, and his hand on my hair, caressing me just like he'd done so many times back when I was a kid.

"Dad, I don't feel so good. I think I'm going to sleep some more. You should go ahead and have breakfast with Edwin, I think he wants to go out. I'll be fine on my own." I don't want to make Dad worry and I hate seeing him like he needs to be there for me at all times when I can manage on my own just fine.

Really, Gemma?

I won't be here if I can. I know how broken I am and I need my family who loves me unconditionally.