18 - Black blood

Aemond sat on the settee in Helaena's chambers and listened as his sister was explaining him the difference between two identical spiders

Aemond sat on the settee in Helaena's chambers and listened as his sister was explaining him the difference between two identical spiders. Something with the length of their legs.

".. if you look closely enough, you can see that the female has.."

She never finished her sentence. Not that it mattered to the prince who wasn't even interested in her spiders.

"Do you want to hold it ?" She asked and Aemond shook his head.

"I'd rather not."

Helaena shrugged and Aemond stood from the settee, his hand on the pommel of his sword.
He had left the library shortly after arriving, and had went to Helaena's chambers, making sure she was okay.

He knew his mother was dealing with the attempt of murder on the princess, she had been with Lord Larys whole night trying to know if his spies knew something.

"Aemma draws too you know." Helaena said, taking another spider from her box.

Aemond frowned now interested in his sisters words. "How do you know that ?"He asked quietly.

"She's been drawing me, she's talented."

Of course she was. Aemond rolled his eye, Aemma wanted to gain everyone's favor here.

"More than me ?" The words had slipped from his mouth and he almost felt his cheeks redden.

Thankfully, Helaena was not one to revel in her brother's childish insecurities and jealousy. "I'd say you're the same." She shrugged and Aemond scoffed.

No he was not the same as her.
But he was still curious.
"Can I see, her drawing ?" He asked looking around the room for some scribble.

"It's not finished yet, she needs special paints." Helaena muttered.

"What special pants ?"

"Pentoshi paints. The same her father got her on her ninth nameday. Do you remember ? They had left the castle at night, Nyra was so upset !" She giggled and Aemond shrugged.

"Mh."

"Hello Hel." Aemond turned quickly toward the door and frowned at the sight of Aemma. "My prince."

He thought she was already gone. He hoped she was. "Princess."

His eye fell on the purple bruise on her skin and he looked away. It was almost ironic, her favorite color had always been purple, and now even her skin was purple. His eyes then fell on her clothes and he slightly frowned at the sight of his cloak covering her shoulders.

Great, he rolled his eye, now it probably smelled like her.

"Aemma, come, I was teaching Aemond the difference between-.." Helaena stood and grabbed Aemma by the arm and gently put the spider in her hand.