TwentyOne

'Cause there we are again in the middle of the night

We're dancing 'round the kitchen in the refrigerator light

Eleanor and Buck had spent the majority of the night with Eddie, attempting to comfort him and just take his mind off things for a while. After Eddie left the pair sat on the couch in silence. Eleanor cuddled up against Buck as he held her in his arms. They sat in a comfortable silence for a long while. 

"I'm sorry your plans got canceled," Eleanor finally broke the silence.

"It's okay. Eddie needed us." Eleanor nodded in agreement.

"I'm sure whatever you had planned was amazing. Maybe we can have a redo." Buck smiled down at the woman in his arms.

"I think I have something better actually."

"Really? Just a reference, I am terrified of heights so don't go renting a hot air balloon or planning a cute moment on a Ferris wheel." The pair shared a laugh.

"I'll keep that in mind."

"I actually really enjoy just staying in with you. Trying new recipes that you find, watching movies, baking.. just simple." This got Buck's mind racing with new ideas. 

****

Eleanor was finishing up the last few files on her desk when her phone buzzed. She pushed the files aside, searching for her phone in the mess of papers on the desk. She tapped the button and held it to her ear as she finally found it.

"Hey," Maddie's cheery voice flowed through the phone. "What are you doing on your break?"

"Probably just gonna grab something from the cafeteria. Why?"

"You should definitely come to lunch with me. There's this new, cute little cafe that just opened down the street from the hospital."

"Um.. okay. I'm up for trying new things."

"Sounds good. I'll pick you up in about ten minutes."

"Wait, how'd you know when my break was?"

"Uh.. lucky guess," Maddie blurted before hanging up. Something was definitely up.

Eleanor went back to the files on her desk. She finished the last three, put them away, and cleaned up her desk just in time to meet Maddie. She threw her jacket on and grabbed her purse before heading out of the office. Maddie had just pulled up when Eleanor reached the doors.

"What are you up to?" Eleanor asked as soon as she got in the car.

Maddie put her hands up in surrender. "Nothing, I swear. I just wanna spend some time with my friend. I feel like Buck is hogging you. We haven't gone out in a while so I thought it'd be nice plus I really wanna try this nice place and Chim won't go with me."

Eleanor gave her a suspicious look but dropped the subject. "How are things with Chim?"

"Pretty good. I really like him," Maddie smiled brightly.

"Well, I'm glad you're finally happy. You deserve it."

"You deserve it too. My brother better be treating you good."

"Oh he is..," Eleanor blushed.

"Okay, ew." The girls laughed together.

Maddie parked in front of the cafe. Eleanor was getting more and more suspicious, the cafe was new but not that new. She was almost a hundred percent sure that she and Maddie had been here before. Nonetheless, she pushed her thoughts aside and enjoyed the lunch. Eleanor offered to wait for the order while Maddie found a place to sit. As she waited she looked over to the table Maddie had chosen, Maddie didn't notice because her nose was so far in her phone. She was still on her phone ten minutes later when Eleanor approached with their food.