00. stereo strangers

prologue,stereo strangers

prologue,
stereo strangers

Vidia loved her bandmates, she really did, but god forbid they make an actual setlist

Vidia loved her bandmates, she really did, but god forbid they make an actual setlist. It'd been twenty minutes since their set up in the fair and they still couldn't decide what song to play. It also didn't help that Lainey and Roy couldn't get past their own fight as a couple and had to bring it into the mix of what god damn song they were going to play.

"We should play Lazy Heart." Lainey argued.

Roy slammed his drum throne onto the ground, "No, we should start with Hour of Lust."

Vidia and Colette collectively rolled their eyes, both girls getting tired of their endless bantering. This always happened, seemingly always when they had a gig somewhere.

"You guys are both wrong and are choosing horrible songs for our setting. We're starting off with Bittersweet Hysteria and that's that." Vidia threw her bass strap over her head, securing it around her shoulder, "We're trying to draw a crowd not lull people to sleep. Save your fighting for the bedroom."

The group knew they couldn't gather people around immediately, but a few people circled them as they tested their instruments. And as the beat of the drum came in she quickly felt it coursing through her veins. This is the feeling she lived and breathed for. Her body followed the beat, and she felt her mind go at ease.

She held her pick between her index and her thumb, feeling the fire flare up from her fingers all the way to her bicep. The electric feeling she always got every time she played her bass. It was the only thing that kept her mind off of the people watching her, analyzing and listening to see any mistake. And the mistake wouldn't come.

At the end her brain would still be fuzzy, high off of that indescribable feeling that seeped through every time. Even as she packed up her bass and her amp, she couldn't wipe the smallest of smiles off of her face. Vidia could tell it wasn't just her because she could now see Lainey and Roy against the wall, that look they had in their eyes only when they weren't fighting. That look that told everyone they truly did love each other.

They all said quick goodbyes as the couples  walked away hand in hand, their equipment trailing behind them as they pulled it. And Vidia watched Colette walk off to some guy who stood not far from their set up. She assumed it was her newest boyfriend, Colette had always been the type to go for guys way older than her. And of course, she would never introduce them to the band because she knew they would only last a month or two before they realized Colette didn't fit the innocent high school girl type that these guys were looking for. Vidia knew the codename for this and that was pedophiles, but it's not her life so she won't judge Colette.

So that just left Vidia on her own and as she walked out of the fair she couldn't help but let her eyes drift to her peers. The couples making out against fences, friends laughing as they rode the rides, and those sharing food. Sure, sometimes she did feel a little bit lonely, but she was also the type that never really craved that sort of intimacy. Vidia has always been fine just focusing on what she wanted most, a music career.

So she stuffed that lonely feeling down, knowing that it was something she could explore later in life, once she was successful. Vidia has finally made it to her car, pressing the button on her fob and propping open her trunk. She laid her bass down flat on the trunk bed, lifting her amp and setting it beside it against the wall. As she closed the trunk, an unfamiliar face appeared in front of her.

The man did not move, and he didn't make a sound. And Vidia would be lying if she said fear hadn't crept its way into her mind, a small tremor appearing in her finger tips and she put her key in between her fingers, preparing to attack.

"Hello?" She said inquisitively.

He stalked forward, and it was only then that she was the ferret on his jacket, a Huntington High player. Vidia knew they were ruthless, she heard the stories. But as she stepped back from him, her foot rolled and she stumbled. He took this opportunity to grab her viciously, practically throwing her around as he threw a punch to the side her face.

As her head swung to the side, he released her and her body fell harshly into the gravel on the ground. Vidia could feel it scratching her hands as all the warmth in her body traveled toward the hit. And she has no time to recover as he threw a harsh kick to her abdomen, causing her body to shift even further from the car.

Vidia couldn't even attempt hold in the whimper as she laid in the fetal position, cradling herself and attempting to shield her body from her attacker. Thankfully, when he crouched down to her it wasn't to hit her once more, it was to leave a message.

"This is just the beginning. You Rockbridge Falls shitfaces will die." His breath was warm against the side of her face, and he made it a point to kick some dirt and gravel her way as he left the scene.

If there was one time Vidia would wish to not be alone, it would be right now. She wanted someone to comfort her, someone to take away her pain. But nobody was around, and she only had herself to blame.

 But nobody was around, and she only had herself to blame

author's note !

pretty short but this is just the prologue :) thank you to anybody who has commented, read, and voted so far i really really appreciate it !!

word count: 961
published: october 2, 2023