05. m'lady

chapter fivem'lady

chapter five
m'lady

Vidia felt like something was off almost as soon as she showed up to the Secret Bee

Vidia felt like something was off almost as soon as she showed up to the Secret Bee. It was much later the same night and she had just brought her bass and amp up to the stage as they began to set up before the bar actually opened. She didn't know what it was, but it seemed that her three bandmates had kept giving her the side-eye.

It couldn't have been her bruises, she had finally found a foundation to use to cover them up around them. It had to have been the fact that she was just a little bit late. She couldn't help it though, her mom had ransacked her room and threw a bunch of stuff over her amp and it took a second for her to remember what side of the room it was on. Vidia decided to ignore it until the end of the night.

About thirty minute after the bar opened, groups of people started coming in, and the band decided it was time to start playing. And as the lights dimmed and that bone shaking beat entered her body, the euphoria kicked in. She had gotten so lost in the music that she didn't even notice that Hazel had shown up and was now standing the back right corner or the bar. Their eyes met and Vidia smiled at her, Hazel returning the favor.

Hazel was in awe. She'd never seen somebody look so ethereal, it was like Vidia wasn't even real up there. Hazel didn't want to immediately get a crush on the first girl she'd actually became friends with from the club, but she just couldn't help it. With the way her dress was flowing and the light illuminated all the right spots on her face, it was like the universe was giving her a sign.

The set had gone by quickly as the cold night air casted a draft into the now nearly empty bar. Vidia was still clueless as to why her band members were being eerily quiet with one another, she hadn't even really seen Roy and Lainey close together. But she said a simple goodbye, watching the couple leave together and seeing Colette leave with yet another random college guy.

Vidia approached Hazel as she was holding her bass and her amp, "You came."

"Of course I did." Hazel smiled, seeing Vidia struggle a bit to carry both of the heavy items, "Here let me help you."

She reached for the amp, holding it up by it's thick handle. Hazel was surprised by the weight, it wasn't huge but it definitely wasn't small. The two got situated as they walked together to their cars.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring PJ or Josie along with you." Vidia spoke up into the silent and dark night.

"Josie probably would've wanted to leave, and PJ, well, it's PJ." Hazel joked, "She probably would've started booing even if she liked the songs."

"Did you like the songs?"

Hazel could see the small piece behind Vidia's facade that was scared to hear the criticism. It was clear that Vidia was very proud to be a part of something like this and that it held a lot of importance to her.

"Definitely, I loved them." Hazel responded enthusiastically, "And you really look like you belong up there."

Vidia felt her cheeks tinge pink as she smiled and looked at the pavement beneath her, "Well, thank you. It's, kind of, the one thing I've found that can be for me, you know?"

Hazel watched as her eyes were glowing with moonlight. They had reached Vidia's small black car, opening the trunk and setting both the guitar and the amp down on the surface.

As Vidia closed the trunk and turned towards Hazel, her face turned serious, "Thank you though, really. I've never really had anybody to invite to this kind of thing."

Vidia could feel the nervousness in the pit of her stomach. Why was she so nervous to admit this to Hazel?

"Well, I've never known anybody cool enough to invite me to something cool." She joked.

Vidia laughed, "That's because you're the coolest there is."

Was she flirting? Vidia questioned herself. She's never had this playful banter or relationship with somebody. She truly didn't know what this was. 

"Why thank you, m'lady." Hazel jokingly curtsied at her, "It is getting late though, so I should get home before my mom gets on me."

Vidia nodded, "Well, thank you. Again. I'll see you on Monday?"

Hazel looked back as she headed toward her car, "I'll see you on Monday."

Neither girls saw the other as they both stole one last glance before peeling out of the parking lot and heading back to their respective houses.

author's note !

BUT I LOOKED BACK TWO TIMESSSSSS, sorry its short but tea?? whats up with them stereo strangers huh.....

word count: 811
published: october 28, 2023