09. rotting from the inside out

chapter ninerotting from the inside out

chapter nine
rotting from the inside out

Perhaps Vidia should have thought more about inviting Hazel into her home on such short notice

Perhaps Vidia should have thought more about inviting Hazel into her home on such short notice. She hadn't had the time to properly clean in weeks and her mother hadn't been home in over a week, so who knows when the beast might show. Vidia hadn't expected Hazel to accept her request that quickly, she half expected her to mull it over for a day or two.

She'd never been quite ashamed of her financial status, but Vidia obviously wasn't going to be loud and proud about her run down trailer home that her and her mother have lived in since she was a kid. It was visibly beat up and lacking of any color or depth it once held to be shown off like a prize, because who knew it would've ended up in this dump.

She tried to conceal any visible trash and generally unsanitary areas as the girls b-lined straight to Vidia's bedroom. Despite being alone in the home, it was quite clear that Vidia would much rather spend her time in her bedroom. It was the one place she could make uniquely hers. Luckily, this was also the one place Vidia always made sure was spick-and-span.

Exhaling a breath she didn't notice that she had been holding, Vidia dropped her bag on the floor in front of her bed and sat down on it. The springs creaked slightly from the weight pressing down on them.

"Sorry about any mess." Vidia scratched the back of her head, "I guess I should've thought about cleaning before inviting someone over."

Hazel kind of awkwardly stood in the middle of the room, gripping her backpack straps, "No, it's fine. I think it's really cozy."

"Thank you." Vidia noticed the awkwardness on her face, "You can sit wherever, with me or on the floor if you want."

Vidia watched the silent debate Hazel was having with herself. Ultimately, the girl settled on the floor, sitting with her back against the bed. The silence was beginning to get to her and out of habit Vidia reached for the CD closest to her bed, which just so happened to be an album from The Cardigans. The joyful tune of Lovefool began to swim into their ears.

"So, have you had the chance to study for either Mr. G or Mrs. Green's tests coming up?" Vidia let her back sit up against the wall, grabbing her notebooks out of her backpack.

Hazel unzipped her bag as well, "Not really, I've just been caught up with the club and now, more than ever, my mom."

This was very a clearly sore subject, but Vidia was deadset on making sure Hazel knew she always had someone to talk to. She knew exactly what it felt like to have to bottle up every single terrible feeling, and she knew how it felt as if it was rotting her from the inside out.

"I get it." Vidia said with a look on her face that silently said 'it really sucks.'

"If it makes you feel better, we can talk about all the shitty stuff both of our moms have done, I'll go first." Vidia had to quickly rack her brain, "One time my mom had one of her shitty boyfriends come over and locked me in a closet."

Hazel's eyes widened, "Shit, Vidia. I didn't think you'd start off with something like that."

"Sorry." Vidia said with a little giggle, repositioning herself on the bed, now lying on her stomach, her head now beside Hazel's.

"No, you don't have to apologize, um, I remember one time when I was a kid seeing my parents fight for the first time." Hazel was hesitating as she spoke, "I had seen my dad push away my mother in the kitchen pretty roughly, and my mom slapped him."

"My mom never really did anything terrible to me, but she really did hate my dad towards the end."

Vidia turned her head more toward Hazel's, "Is that partially why your mom being with Jeff hits you a lot more than you would've expected?"

Vidia hadn't realized her voice had descended into a whisper, and her breath caught in her throat when Hazel turned her own head to face her. Their faces were mere inches apart and she could feel the soft breath on her face as Hazel spoke, "I think so. Um, but I can't really blame her for wanting someone who could be dumb enough to only make her feel good."

She could feel her heart beating out of her chest and the blood rushing toward her cheeks and ears.

"But what about you? Shouldn't your own mother care about you feeling good and being happy?"

Hazel's eyes quickly darted over Vidia's face, it was so fast the girl thought she imagined it. But the twinkle that always accompanied Hazel's bright eyes had flickered with the movement, and it had undoubtedly happened.

"I don't think I'll need my mom all the time for me to be happy." Hazel's voice had now mimicked that same whisper.

Vidia had to test the waters, if she wasn't imagining this proximity and desire it could do nothing but good.

"And what would you need?"

Vidia connected their eyes, using them to express her desire as their lips were held back by the thick air. She allowed her own eyes to flicker down to Hazel's lips, feeling like time was slowing down for just the two of them and this glorious moment. As she began to lean in, the butterflies in her stomach felt like they were exploding.

However, the moment was broken when the door of her room flung open, the figure of Kendra Fang standing in the doorway.

author's note !

RAHHH sorry for not updating for nearly a month again i am a busy bee. im full time at work now and i have 5 classes this semester so i dont get much time to write anymore. HOWEVER here you go gay ppl 🫶

word count: 1015
published: february 8, 2024