13

Miyazō looked round, eyes studying her surroundings, arms limp by her side. Her chest ached, her nose twitched from the foul stench.

She stood atop charred grass, magenta eyes looking over the trees- what's left of them. Most of the once vibrant, large trees were just withered now- leafless, thin branches.... darkened stems, some even just sad stumps.

As Gojo had said, it was easy for her to take down the cursed spirit. Summoning Miyazō was like child's play, and the being was unmatched.

The problem was the situation, aftermath... the dead bodies she'd seen littered round- even worse were the ones that were alive. They were empty, like coma patients with open eyes.

It was disgusting.

She trudged over to the large doors leading out with her posture bent and her spirits low.

How was she to continue an everyday life with all the gore she was witnessing? How could anyone do so? It was absurd.

She was silent the entire ride home, with her arms propped up on the door and her eyes watching the passing scenery. She didn't want to admit that she'd wished Gojo had actually come the way he'd said he would.

So she managed with pushing thoughts of him to the back of her mind. She just wanted to go home and take a long, hot bath, and forget everything she'd seen.

She took a deep breath once she got into her apartment building, hurrying her steps inside and quickly making her way to the elevator.

Miyazō avoided looking at her reflection inside the elevator, choosing instead to study the floor. She was sure she looked like shit, with wide eyes and dilated pupils that just screamed 'I've seen something'.

She took short breaths as she walked to her apartment, pushing the key into the lock and making her way in. Shutting the door behind her, she furrowed her brows and looked around.

The place was dark, and quiet. Miyazō turned to the clock at the far end of her wall. It was just some minutes past nine. Gojo couldn't have been sleeping, could he?

Or had he gone out somewhere?

"Gojo?" She called out, removing her shoes before taking more steps in.

She looked around the place as she took slow steps further inside. Everything looked very normal. She even went over to the guest room Gojo had been sleeping in.

She knocked, and then opened the door when she received no answer. He wasn't inside. But his stuff were there; his shoes by the wardrobe, his uniform hanging there too.

"Gojo?" She called again.

No answer.

He couldn't have left.

She stepped away and walked over to her room, quickly pushing open the door. Then she scowled at the man sitting on her bed, despite the relief in her chest, despite how glad she was to see him.

"I called your name several times." Miyazō said, walking over to where he sat.

He was wearing his shades. "I know." He grinned, seeming giddy and excited.

"So why didn't you answer?" She raised a brow, annoyed. "And what's that?" She motioned to the plain white box next to him on her bed.

Gojo's grin widened as he picked it up and waved her over. "Come on, come on."

She rolled her eyes. "Child," But she went over to sit next to him.

Gojo pulled open the cover, "Congratulations on your first exorcism." He whispered, the stupid grin still on his face, stretching his lips wide. "And making it to special grade."

"You-" Miyazō paused, eyes glued to the two cupcakes inside the box, one topped with blue icing and the other with a purplish-pink. "You got me cake?"

He nodded quickly, his happiness and excitement obvious as he pushed it closer to her. "See..." He pointed. "This one's blue and this one's magenta. Like our eyes." He pushed his glasses up, showing off her blue eyes.

A little snort escaped her lips. "Seriously?" She chuckled, looking up at him. "You're really a ray of sunshine, aren't you?" She began reaching for the magenta cupcake.

But Gojo slapped her hand away.

"What's that for?" She yelled out, slapping his shoulder in retaliation.

He frowned at her. "Yours is obviously the blue one. I get the magenta."

"No! Magenta's my eyes." She snapped back.

"That's why I get them." He said. "You take mine and I take yours. It's our friendship, Miyazō!"

She huffed at him. "Whatever, just gimme a cupcake, I'm hungry." She snatched the blue one, bringing it to her mouth.

Gojo laughed at her antics and picked up his own cupcake. "How was your exorcism, huh?" He asked.

She shrugged, licking at the icing on her lips. "It was alright. I barely did anything... like always." She muttered. "It's just- there were bodies, and people...."

He hummed, understanding how she felt. "Unfortunate circumstances, really. You'll come across a lot of those," he said. "You just... you shouldn't let it affect you so much. It doesn't help, it only messes up your mind."

She nodded at his words, and there was silence for a few more moments. Miyazō ate more of her cupcake, and Gojo watched her. He recognised that look in her eyes, understood that it must have been hard for her to see whatever she saw.

"You said you'd come," she mumbled, looking back up at him. "You didn't."

"I was getting the cupcakes." He replied, still looking at her.

She nodded. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He said, his voice a bit hoarse, shaky, as he kept looking at her. Then he raised his gaze to her hair.

He brought his hand up, his fingers reaching to touch the white streak Hanenoken had made on her hair. "This is nice," he said.

She kept looking at him as well. "Grey hair?" She chuckled.

He cracked a smile. "Good night, Seijin." He said as he stood up.

"Good night... Satoru." She smiled softly at him.

He hummed in response, his lips twitching a little, his gaze running over her, studying her closely and far too intently to be considered innocent.

Then he turned around and made his way out of her room.