Chapter 1 - The Self Portrait

"Your mine..."

The dark words rung through the hallway. Your eyes looking up at the glooming portrait that bestowed your new groom-to-be. Your neck broke into a cold sweat, as your hands clasped together in a dreadful manner.

The portrait only made the realization click in deeper

The portrait only made the realization click in deeper. The cold and dark tile you stood on was soon to be your new dungeon from home. This one leaving a dark and more sinister feeling in your stomach and throat. Your eyes were fixated on the picture of the groom-to-be, he was known as various names in the lands that were far and wide. One that stuck out the most was "King of Despair", which only added to the fear that kept you from breathing in the moment.

Father sent you away after announcing at supper a week ago that yourself was to be wed to a widowed king by the name of Levi Ackerman. Though you wanted to protest long ago, you knew the role as a lady of a lords family. After hearing rumors that he made three of his brides-to-be run away or end the engagement, knowing this only added the additional pressure of every basic right of a women and yourself on the line.

A soft breeze broke you out of your recap of events leading you to the hauntingly beautiful picture. You turned your head as you saw a hand from the darkness was reaching out toward you. Sending your heart into a pump overload as a shaking breath escaped your lips.

"Who goes there?.." You mustered out before a wave of relief washed over you, when you saw the glooming eyes of Sasha - your personal handmaiden from home. She accompanied you to the new living arrangements. You had been here for only a couple days so adventuring out was the only real thing you could do. Levi was away on small business and the staff told you could stay in your quarters of the estate until Levi comes back home. But they didn't restrict you only to the room, so here you were in front of the painting.

Sasha's brown eyes stared at you, probably seeing the cold sweat and face of anguish on yours, cause her eyebrows dipped down in a line of concern, before your hand was already placed into hers as her warm touch made you feel protected.

"(Y/n)! You look as if you saw a ghost, are you okay my lady?" She asked in her cheery tone as your eyes looked back at the poorly lit self-portrait you had yourself enchanted by.

"Yes ma'am." You spoke as you drifted off.

"Is that King Levi?" You asked as Sasha stepped forward as your arm fell into hers as you clenched onto her sleeve of her maiden uniform.

"By the looks of it, it seems so Lady (Y/n)." She spoke back as her eyes stared the portrait.

"Did you know he is a widow? No one talks about his Queen..." Sasha spoke up. You nodded as Sasha awkwardly chuckled.

"Sorry to talk out of manner madam, but I heard the people around town talk about how she passed." Sasha slowly started to turn you two to walk down the seemingly long hallway.

"They say one day while the Queen was in the mist of carrying their child, King Levi went away on a business affair, leaving her behind because of the child's due date was upon them. But when he was away a small sickness broke out, yet only about 1,500 people got it one including his beloved Queen. So when Levi returned he was given the news that his Queen had passed and so did their child as well. Leaving him not only widowed but childless as well." Sasha spoke solumly about the past, as you softly nodded your head to the information. You two watched arm in arm slowly down the dark hallway, as Sasha soon resumed.

"After the tragedy, his normal personality had disappeared, leaving a cold and tyrant of a man behind. Which people started to call him all the names we grew up hearing about him. Remember mother reading those to us?" Sasha giggled at the memories of you two growing up together. Her mother was your brothers handmaiden, but once she grew old and passed Sasha was given the responsibility of being your maiden. Which hasn't had many problems because you two are best friends since childhood.

"What a tragedy to a man who was in love." You spoke up softly to her. Soon you two got to a lighter area of the estate as Sasha leads you to the diner area. You two converse a little, before the staff serves dinner, and after you are gestured to take a sleep since you had studies and lessons in the estate of the King Levi's heritage and land.

Soon after being bathed you climbed into bed and fell asleep. In your dream the self portrait came back to haunt you, only as the words "your mine" echos throughout the dark dream - only this time it was truly a nightmare.