THE SORTING

Ext. outside

"First years this way, First years Follow meh,...." Following the giant man's voice helped Harry get to a lake with a lot of little boats. "only four a boat" yelled the giant once again. Harry ended up in a boat with Draco, Daphne and Neville. "I see you found Neville" pointed Draco out with a wave to Neville. Harry quickly introduced Daphne to Neville, but was shocked to silence when Hogwarts came into his view. Everyone was mesmerised by the proud standing castle.

Many of the occupants in the hall were once again awed by the great sight of the legendary castle they called Hogwarts. Thinking back to when they saw it for the first time and how magical it was.

"Get down" ordered the friendly giant snapping the first years out of their thoughts. Harry helped Daphne out of the boat, like a gentleman should. When you see the castle from nearby it is even more spectacular. They were taking to a small room, where they were told to wait. "Harry, where are you? I have been searching for you the whole train ride. Don't be dumb and come join your best friend." Screamed Harry's supposed best friend. Harry not wanting to be seen hid behind Theo, while his friends laughed at him not helping the situation. Luckily Ron's search was interrupted by the ghost scaring most of the occupants of the room. When the ghost were gone, Ron continued with his task in the process pushing a girl named Parvati. " Young man, that is no way to behave. I will let you know that we respect each other here at Hogwarts. You will be serving detention with Filch tomorrow evening." Said a strict looking teacher.

"Now for the rest of you, Welcome to Hogwarts" she turned her attention to the rest of the first years. "'The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses.

The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. 'The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards.

While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

'The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.' Explained McGonagall, turning around and leaving again.

"That was the exact same speech you gave us." Yelled Remus out. "And ours" added Regulus. Other people from different years chimed in saying it was the same as theirs too. "if it is successful why change it" stated the professor

While Ron was throwing a temper tantrum about how it was unfair that he got attention, the rest murmured excitedly about the upcoming school year. After a few minutes McGonagall returned. "Form a line and follow me please" ordered the strict looking professor. Marching up to the doors of the great hall, she turned around once more "one more thing, my name is professor McGonagall and welcome to the next seven years of your life." Opening the doors, she began striding again.

"Bit dramatic weren't you Minnie." Announced Astra, causing giggles around the hall.

The professor grabbed a scroll and began calling out names.

"Abbot Hannah"
"Hufflepuff"
"Brown Lavender"
"Gryffindor"
"Patil Parvati"
"Gryffindor"
"Longbottom Neville"

"I bet he is going to be in Gryffindor" said Frank betting 3 galleons. "No he is going to be in Hufflepuff" countered Alice. Everyone began betting on where Neville would end up. The majority said that he would end up in Hufflepuff