Rubies are Red

"Mémé," I call out as I place some bags down on the dining table. I hear some shuffling coming from the kitchen and I walk inside to find my grandmother standing on a chair, looking out of the window.

"What are you doing?" I ask her, nervously as I place a gentle hand on her arm.

"Ivy hush, they're fighting," She whispers and I turn my gaze to the neighbours. They're a married couple, maybe in they're thirties and the woman is currently screaming bloody murder while throwing boxes at her husband.

It's like a bad TV show.

"Mémé hasn't anyone told you eavesdropping is rude?" I ask, though I also bring up a chair to watch the fight with her. I wonder if they're getting divorced.

Well, they must be, this isn't exactly a normal fight.

Oh, he's started yelling back now after one of the boxes hit him in the face.

"What else am I meant to do, chérie? I'm an old woman there's barely any entertainment around here. And you visit me so much less," My grandmother says, not taking her eyes off the argument.

I feel a pang of guilt in my chest, she's right. My grandmother practically raised me. I've never really known who my father was, just that he got my mom pregnant when they were both only eighteen.

She stayed and he didn't. I used to get birthday cards and money on special holidays but that stopped when I was thirteen, which was coincidentally how old I was when my mom died.

After that my grandmother took me and raised me, I owe her everything. I went from living with her to only seeing her on holidays when I went to college.

Or what she thought was college.

I had no idea how I was supposed to tell her I'd been recruited by Lotus, a triad organisation. Once I got my place when I was twenty two I only saw her about once a week if I had nothing happening.

It's for her safety, I don't need enemies or other rival companies finding out anything about my personal life. Things that could be used to force my hand or hurt me. I'd die before I ever let anyone hurt my grandmother. Even if she was a little bit crazy.

"Oh we've been seen," My grandmother says, I snap out of my thoughts to see both the man and the woman turn to stare at us. If looks could kill, me and my grandmother would have exploded.

We both smile and wave at the couple as I help her climb off the chair. She unloads the groceries I got for her while I shove extra money into her money draw.

After every assignment I complete, I always give at least a thousand to her to help her out, she has pensions but they only cover the bare minimum. The money I make is the reason she has that lovely new TV for her to watch Emmerdale on.

"Ah chérie, stop!" My grandmother calls as I shut the drawer and groan. Here we go.

"I'm not a charity case, do you understand me? I do not need all this money. Where are you getting it from hmm? You're only twenty-five what job could be paying you so well?"

"I told you, I work in finance in the stocks!" I say, the lie passing through my lips so quickly.

It had never even occurred to me to tell the truth about my job to my grandmother. How on earth was I meant to explain I was an assassin, that isn't something you just go around announcing over dinner.

She sighs annoyed and I try to change the subject, "And what is with this drawer? I told you the bank is where you put money, not a random drawer in the kitchen."

My grandma rolls her eyes with an impressive attitude as she shuts the fridge, "I told you Cherie, your Pépère never trusted the banks so neither will I,"