Conflict Of Interest

"How's the girlfriend?" I ask Josh as I roll my shoulder to a more comfortable position. Open air blows in my face as Alex pushed the window up for me to get a better angle.

We can see inside Gareth's penthouse clear from the windows that cover almost all of his walls.

About three hours ago we got a call from Dominic one of our investors had a hit released on his head and he sent us three to go and cover it for him.

We are all bored as fuck waiting for an assassin who isn't showing up from the looks of it.

"Yeah she's good, I started looking at engagement rings about a week ago," Josh replies and I shake my head at him.

"Fucking idiot, mate," Alex says, voicing my opinion out loud as he pulls out a cigarette.

Josh shoots him a dark glare, he might not like hearing us say it but we're saying the truth. he was being stupid be deciding to marry that woman.

Though I'm sure Alex had a different reason for thinking that than I did.

"I love her, have since college. And don't you dare give me shit for that." Josh says, meeting both of our eyes with his angry gaze.

"She doesn't even know what you do. You told her you work at a tech company, you think Emery would take kindly to finding out you kill people?"

"I don't kill anyone, I just help you two kill people."

"So you're our fluffer, think that would soften the blow for her?" I pitch in.

Josh sighs, rubbing his eyes, "Why does she have to know? I don't see how that would help anyone. Besides she's...a blabber she'd tell her friend who's a lawyer and then we'd all be fucked."

"I will fuck you up if I get my ass arrested because your girlfriend couldn't keep her mouth shut." I tell him. And I'm not joking either.

"Dude you can't marry her on a lie, they wives always find out their smart people. So either you tell her and then be prepared to kill her if you can tell she's going to snitch or find a new woman to marry." Alex says, simply.

He speaks void of all emotion but I know this isn't a light subject for him. Three years ago he was set to be engaged to a woman called Anastastia, he was insanely in love with her. He waited until she had a rock on her finger to tell her about what his job actually involved. She didn't take it well and he had to put a bullet through her head.

Well, that's the story we told Shadowborn's CEO. Alex couldn't kill her and I didn't feel like having her blood on my hands so I helped him blackmail the shit out of her into silence.

She's alive somewhere, Alex hasn't seen her in three years and Shadowborn is still up and running. Everyone won and yet somehow there was no victor.

"I can keep this from her, I swear it." Josh tells us and I suppress an eyeroll.

He didn't have to worry either way, I'd seen Josh and Emery interact a number of times. I'd be shocked as fuck if she even made it down the ailse if they did end up tying the knott. That woman did not love him.

Shame, I thought Josh was trained to notice body language and facial cues yet he seemed to have completely missed her lack of love for him.

And I could not be bothered to tell him. Besides, I liked weddings. I didn't mind going to one even if I'd be more happy to be there than the bride.
Maybe I could bring Ivy as my date, she'd just have to wear a wig and some sunglasses.

"You do just that," Alex says, shooting him a wink. It was patronising and made me smile. Alex was one of the only people who was able to get me to smile genuinely.