Cats out of the bag

"Did you hear about Kelsey?" Gabriella asks me as we sit down at the conference table. A couple of our agents had been called in for a certain case we were expected to work on. It was probably a pretty important one considering we all had to sit ominously at the big metal table to discuss it. 

"Kelsey? No what happened?" I ask Gabi, as I focus my attention on her. The other three girls sitting at the table all turned to look at Gabi as we waited for her to tell us what she knew. 

"She got caught by Marrissa last week screwing around with Chase Bellefort," Gabi says, all the other girls gasp or raise their hands to their mouths in shock but I look around blankly. I had no idea who that was or why this was bad. 

"Who is that?" 

Athena shakes her head, "Chase works for that Shadowborn organisation, one of the higher-up assassins like us. I can't believe she'd be so stupid to get involved with someone from there. Everyone knows it's forbidden, anyways the men from that place are downright sadistic," She says. 

Oh. 

"Maybe they're all sadistic but I have no problem admitting they're all obscenely gorgeous. I have to be honest girls I'd be willing to risk it all for a night with one of them," Jasmine says, flicking her long dark hair over one shoulder as she smiles shyly. 

"Amen to that," I mutter and Gabi snorts loudly. I kick her under the table and she suppresses another giggle. Luckily, none of the other girls look our way. 

"They're hired because they're hot, it's like criteria or something so they can easily kill their victims. I don't know something about people who tend to trust more attractive people," Scarlett says, shrugging. 

"I'd trust them to take care of me for the night, though after the sex there's a fairly good chance I'd get shot execution-style right after," Jasmine says and I bite my tongue. 

I kissed one of those sadistic agents and he stabbed me in the stomach. Lucky for me, the fucker decided he liked me better off alive. However, one look at Jasmine and I think there's a good chance she'd walk away unscathed from Shadowborns agents. Her beauty would be reason enough to keep her alive. 

"What happened with Kelsey?" I ask, looking at Gabi. 

She purses her lips and looks at me, worried, "She was burned out." 

All of the girls collectively gasp and my stomach drops as I swallow bile. Lotus had a lot of ways they chose to deal with agents, most commonly they'd activate the technology within our chips to harm us. But sometimes an agent did something unforgivable and they were burned out.

 This is exactly how it sounds, the chip in their wrist is broken and it essentially frys your brain. It is possible to survive the brain frying, but it reduces you to a vegetable essentially. I'd rather die.

I glanced down as the Lotus symbol burned into my wrist and touched it gingerly, such a small delicate mark and yet it can bring so much devastation. 

"Guys I-" Jasmine begins to say, but she's cut off whatever she was going to say by Marissa walking into the room with a case file in her hands. All of us sit up in our seats, back straightened as she sits down. 

She runs through the case with us and I watch her, carefully, I can't believe she's a mother. Better that, I can't believe how much of a fucking hypocrite she is. She kills her agents for screwing around with members of Shadowborn when she let the man in charge put a baby in her. My blood boiled with unbridled amounts of rage. 

When the case is wrapped up and finished all of us rise and head for the door, but before I can leave the room Marissa calls out for me and asks me to hang back for a moment. I sigh, turning around as I stare at her.