Heaven

"I don't like it when you do this, it's creepy," I say bitterly, walking out of my apartment and locking up. Nikolai leans against the wall opposite, a lazy grin on his face.

"What's wrong with a boyfriend surprising his girlfriend?" He asks me and I glance at him as we walk down the hall and into the elevator together.

"Oh, is that what you are? My boyfriend?" I asked him, looking ahead as the numbers got smaller and smaller indicating we were going down.

Nikolai turns his head to look at me and my cheeks heat under his gaze. It's always cold like he's assessing me, "Have you behaved as if I'm not?" He asks and I don't miss the dangerous edge to his tone. He always goes for violence, it's hot in a demented way.

"You haven't asked me out properly," I say to him casually. Nikolai stares at me blankly and I sigh, "You know when a boy likes a girl he asks if he can be her boyfriend, and they date. I can't believe I have to explain that to you."

The elevator doors open and I go to step off but Nikolai puts his arms out and stops me, I take a forced step back and stare at him, he clicks the button to shut the doors and my stomach drops a little.

"I don't like you. I'm obsessed with you, it's appalling and inconvenient, you have carved yourself on my body and burned yourself into my brain. What does it matter if you're my girlfriend or not? I can't even get rid of you by killing you, I tried and it didn't work. No one else can bring out that much compassion from me. It's just you," He tells me. He looks genuinely baffled I don't already know this, like it's so painfully obvious I should know it.

That makes me smile, the bluntness of it all. Nikolai doesn't tell me things because they sound nice, or because he imagines it's what I want to hear but because he believes them to be true. That's not to say he isn't excellent at manipulating emotions.

"Well I'd still like you to be my boyfriend," I say, holding back a grin.

"Fine, I'm your boyfriend, would you like me to take you to the movies next?" He says dryly, bending down and tilting my head up for a kiss. I press my mouth to him, enjoying the taste of nutmeg and smoke.

I smile, satisfied as the doors open again and we step off together. He was awful but he was mine. And only mine.

"Do you even watch movies?" I ask him, as we walk out of my building side by side. We keep walking ahead, looking around us as we stroll down the street. Considering we were both wanted criminals we never could be too careful about where we were. But New York was a big city and there were at least five serial killers in it right now as we spoke.

"I like horror movies, though my favourites always get banned," he says wistfully as we turn into an alleyway and take a shortcut that leads us into a far quieter part of the city.

"You're sick in the head," I mutter, pulling my gun from my boot and cocking it into place as Nikolai hands me a silencer.

"Don't be rude," He says, knocking on the white door before us. I roll my eyes as I pull my hood up and raise my gun. After a moment the door opens and a younger woman opens the door. She freezes when she sees Nikolai and I standing in front of her, my gun is pointed right at her head while Nikolai stands behind me.

"Oh my god-" She breathes out.

Nikolai chuckles, "He couldn't make it, so he sent us."

He's so dramatic.

Half an hour later I'm sitting on the woman we now know is called Greta's dining room table as Nikolai crouches in front of her. His knife is covered in red liquid. He looks deranged like this and my heart races the more I watch him.