Captured

-------------------
Age: 14
Warnings: fighting, nightmare
-----------------

The four cold walls in her cell was everything she knew. She had never seen the outside world apart from a mission sometimes. But she never knew what it was really like to live on the outside. It is something she longed to.

The girl had no name, they called her Project X. She was raised by hydra, who made her a dangerous weapon.

Today, Project X had been dispatched on another mission. She had to retrieve a vital piece of technology from a remote location, and failure was not an option. With a practiced efficiency, she completed her mission, unaware that her actions caught the attention of an individual she never expected to encounter, Natasha Romanoff.

Natasha had been tracking Hydra's movements for weeks. And when she learned of Project X, she knew it was a chance to make a difference, to rescue a little girl from that horror.

During Project X's next mission she encountered earth's mightiest heroes, The Avengers. They were waiting for her, Project X charged at them and a fight broke out. She first launched a punch at Captain America who blocked her with his shield.

Unbothered, Project X continued, landing a few good punches on the super-soldier. Her blows were swift and precise, testing the limits of Captain America's shield.

Amidst the chaos of battle against Captain America and Iron man, Project X's heightened senses detected someone approaching from behind. She swiftly turned, her training and instincts on full display, and ducked just in time to evade a powerful punch aimed at her back

Natasha, despite her combat readiness, displayed a calm and calculating demeanor. She didn't approach Project X with aggression; instead, there was a sense of empathy in her gaze, a hint that she understood more than anyone.

''I'm sorry'' Natasha whispered to the confused looking girl. But she didn't know that Dr. Banner was stood behind her with a sedation. The girl felt a pinch in her neck and she was engulfed in a familiar blackness.

The girl was picked up by Steve Rogers, who took her back to the Avengers Tower.

When the girl opened her eyes she was blinded by a lamp, that was shining in her face. She tried to cover her face with her hands, only to find out they had been handcuffed to the table. She slowly adjusted to the light, and recognized the interrogation room she found herself in.

Before she could do anything else the door opened to reveal a man, wearing an eyepatch. The man sat down in the chair across the table and began talking. ''So you are the girl who has caused us so much trouble'' He said in a serious and determined tone.

''What is your name?''

''How old are you?''

''Who sent you on that mission?''

''What was your mission?''

Project X remained silent. Not giving away anything. Nick was getting agitated, and slammed his hand on the table. ''Answer me, Dammit!''

The girl physically flinched, but still kept her mouth shut. The door opened again to reveal a women she had already met, Natasha Romanoff. ''Nick, a word please.'' She ordered, with a subtle hint of concern in her voice. The two left the room and the girl was alone once again.

In the hallway, Natasha wasted no time expressing her thoughts. ''You can't be so harsh on her'' Natasha started, her voice laced with concern and empathy, ''She is just a kid and she is terrified''

Nick audibly sighed, his frustration noticeable, causing Natasha to roll her eyes. ''Romanoff that girl is a criminal, she has killed people''

With another roll of her eyes, Natasha met Nick's gaze with determination. "So have I," she stated, her voice unwavering. "And we're still having this conversation."

"Why don't you do it yourself then?" Nick finally challenged, his tone laced with annoyance.

Natasha paused for a moment, her gaze steady as she considered the implications of his question. With a determined nod, she made a decision. "Fine, I will," she declared before turning on her heels and reentering the interrogation room.

The girl, still bound to the table, looked up as Natasha returned. This time, there was a different aura about her, a sense of understanding and compassion that had been lacking in the previous exchange. Natasha took a seat across from the girl and regarded her with a mixture of empathy and curiosity.

"I know you're scared," Natasha began gently, her voice carrying a soothing tone. "And I know that you've been through things no one should ever have to endure. But I want to help you, if you'll let me."

The girl hesitated and looked down at her hands. ''Why don't we start with your name'' The girl looked up at Natasha and opened her mouth, a very soft voice spoke ''Project X''

Natasha's eyes filled with a certain sadness ''No I meant your real name, do you have one?'' She spoke with a soft voice. The girl shook her head ''I never had a name before''. Natasha thought for a second before speaking up again ''Do you like the name Y/N, so you can have a fresh start in life''

The girl looked back up at Natasha, who was already looking at her with a hopeful expression. Tears started to form in the little girls eyes and she nodded her head ''I love that, thank you''

Her guarded expression slowly softening. She sensed a shift in Natasha's approach, a genuine desire to connect and understand. Slowly, she began to answer some more of Natasha's questions, revealing fragments of her past, her training and her powers.

She smiled warmly at the girl, a smile that showed reassurance and support.

"Y/N, from now on, you have a fresh start," Natasha said, her tone filled with determination. "But there are some conditions, at least until we're sure you can be trusted." She explained that Y/N would have to wear power dampeners and a tracker to ensure her safety and the safety of others.

Y/N nodded in understanding, a glimmer of gratitude in her eyes as she realized Natasha's determination to make her life better. She has never felt like this before, almost feeling loved.

As they left the interrogation room, Natasha guided Y/N through the corridors of the Avengers Tower. It was late, and there weren't any available rooms yet. So, Natasha decided to take her to her own room.

Once inside, Natasha showed Y/N the bed where she would be staying temporarily. It was a small gesture, but it carried the weight of trust and compassion. Natasha gave Y/N a simple shirt and a pair of sweatpants. The girl could almost drown in them, so Natasha made a mental note to take a shopping trip.

They both got in the big twin sized bed, Natasha dimmed the lights and ensured Y/N was comfortable. She knew that the transition would be challenging, but Natasha was determined to be there every step of the way.

However, in the quiet of the night, Y/N awoke suddenly, her body drenched in sweat from a nightmare that had haunted her for years. The memories of her past life in Hydra had resurfaced, tormenting her in the darkness.

Being a light sleeper, Natasha awoke as well, sensing Y/N's distress. She moved closer to the girl, her presence a soothing balm for the nightmares that had filled her mind.

Natasha gently placed a hand on Y/N's shoulder, offering comfort and reassurance. "It's okay," she whispered softly, her voice calming. "You're safe here, Y/N. I'm here for you."

As Y/N's racing heart gradually slowed, she softly leaned into Natasha's embrace. In that moment, she felt safe for the first time ever. She realized that she was not alone anymore and that Natasha would be there for her every step of the way.

Natasha laid back down, with Y/N still cuddled up to her. She started stroking the little girls hair, and whispered sweet words in her ear. Y/N fell asleep again but this time it was a peaceful sleep. 

---------------------------------------------------

Hey, I'm sorry for not updating for a while. I just had some really hectic weeks, but I will try to finish another one-shot this weekend. 

XX