Chapter Twelve

Sarah sighed as she watched Cole shy away from the nurses hands as she tried to place a bandage over his wound

     "Cole, stop being a baby and let the nurse do her job," she sighed.

      The nurse gave her a grateful look, "Thanks sweetie but I'm done," looking back at Cole, "make sure you change the bandage everyday and keep the wound clean."

      Cole nodded at the nurse and jumped from the bed. He grabbed his clean clothes that Sarah brought him and went to the bathroom to change.

    The nurse turned to Sarah, "Make sure he follows the instructions I gave him. I know that sometimes men like to act like they aren't hurting and try to tough things out but in the end they only end up making things worse. I would hate to see him back in here with an infection of some kind because he was to stubborn to follow simple instructions."

     Sarah nodded at the nurse, "Yes ma'am. I'll make sure he does what he's supposed to."

      With that the nurse left the room. It wasn't long before they were leaving the hospital and headed back to campus. The ride was quiet except for the detectives conversing in the front. Cole looked down at Sarah, "Are you okay? You seem quieter than normal."

       She nodded looking up at him, "I'm just tired. I didn't get much sleep last night."

      Before he could respond the detectives announced they had arrived at their apartment. Cole got out first and attempted to grab Sarah's overnight bag from her but she pulls it away from him. He looked like he was going to fight her on it but one look from her silenced him. The detectives went ahead of them to check everything out. Once they got the all clear they made their way up to the apartment.

       Sarah thanked the detectives and they went back to their post. She placed her bag on the coffee table and looked over at Cole, "I told Sid I would meet her at the library later but I think I'm just gonna stay here with you."

       He walked over to her, "No, if you have plans with Sid you shouldn't cancel."

        She fiddles with the rings on her fingers, "I just don't feel like going out now. I'd rather stay here and not go anywhere. Ever again."

        He laughs, "I know baby, but we can't hide away forever. I know the idea is appealing but we can't."

        Before either one can say a word the phone rings. Sarah tenses up and before she can stop him Cole answers the phone.

       "Hello?"

         "What? Sid where are you?" he asks, "Okay we'll be right there."

         When he puts the phone down he looks over at her with this heartbroken look on his face. She knows in her gut that somethings wrong she just doesn't know what.

         "Sar we need to get down to the police station. There's a situation; Sidney, Hallie, Dewey and Gale are already down there."

           She notices the absence of one name, Randy.

            She doesn't say anything just walks over to Cole who grabs their coats and leads her to the door. They lock up and go down to the cop car that's stationed outside their building, requesting that they take them to the station. The whole ride is filled with silence. She wants to ask about Randy but she's afraid to. Deep down in her gut she already knows the answer.

           When they get to the station they are walked up a flight of stairs where they see Dewey, Hallie, and Sidney all sitting around a table. From the girls red eyes she knows that whatever happened wasn't good.

         They walk over to the table and when Sid sees them she jumps up and hugs Sarah as if her life depends on it.

         When they pull away Sarah asks, "Sid, where's Randy?"

         Sid's eyes fill with tears, "Randy was attacked Sarah. He didn't make it."

         She feels her legs get weak, Sid and Cole grab her at the same time and help ease her into the chair. She couldn't believe it, Randy the film geek, who had been their friend since grade school was dead. She just sort of zones out until she hears Sid say "It shouldn't have been Randy. It should have been me."

        Sarah snaps her head up, "No Sid. It shouldn't be you, it shouldn't have been Randy, it shouldn't be anybody. I'm sick and tired of people using our lives as an excuse to be homicidal jackasses."

      Dewey sighs at her, "No."

       "I should call his mother," Sid says looking around for a phone.

      Dewey grabs for her hand, "Sid, I already made that phone call," as she turns around, "Are you okay?"

      Sidney scoffs, "Stop treating me like glass Dewey. I'm not going to break," looking over at Sarah, "Neither of us are."

      Hallie places her hands on both Sarah and Sidney, "Its okay to break sometimes."

     "That's not gonna happen," the sisters say in unison.

      Before they can say anything else they see Cotton walking out of Chief Hartley's office, followed by the chief and two detectives. Cole stands at the sight of the man, "What the hell is he doing here?"

      Sid sighs, "He cornered me at the library. He wants Sar and I to do an interview with Diane Sawyer. That was the condition for him to get his interview. I said no and he got angry."

      Sarah looked over at him, "I wish he would leave us the hell alone."

     Cole looked like he was going to walk over and say something to him but Dewey grabbed his arm and shook his head. Before anyone could say anything Cotton walked by and leaned down dropping a business card on the table, "Girls if you change your mind."

     Cole lunged forward and went to grab for him but Chief Hartley beat him to it, pushing Cotton out the door. Dewey reached out and grabbed the card muttering, "Sorry about that. What a creep."

     Sarah scoffed, "He's a fame seeking jackass who can't stand the fact that the glamour around his release is wearing off."

     "They're going to take you girls somewhere safe."

       Sidney scoffs, "Yeah? Where's that?"

       "I don't know but I'll be there with you," Hallie states.

       Cole grabs Sarah's hand, "We both will."

       The chief came over, "We should get going. We're going to take you by the dorm so you can pack some things. We've issued a campus lock-in this evening. No ones allowed out after dark okay?"

      The sisters both nod, Sidney muttering a small, "Yeah."

     After the Chief walks off Sidney turns to Dewey, "Who's doing this Dewey?"

     Cole scoffs, "It doesn't matter whose doing it, because with our luck in a few years some fuck-rag with no life will try it again. Its a never ending cycle and I'm fucking tired of watching you two hide away scared all the time. You sure as hell don't deserve it."

     Sarah placed a hand on his arm to calm him as Dewey sighs, "I don't know Sid but I'll find him."

     Before they can say anything else a detective walks up signaling its time to go. Sarah and Cole follow behind Sidney and Hallie. The entire drive back to the dorm Sarah can't help but feel like this safe house isn't going to be so safe.