Chapter Seventeen

Sidney stood from the couch and unlocked the door for their father

Sidney stood from the couch and unlocked the door for their father. As he walked in they saw the grocery bags lining his arms. Sarah shared a look with Sidney, "Dad you know you didn't have to do this right? We may not venture out a lot but we are capable of getting our own groceries."

"I know that sweetie but I want to make sure that all of you are taken care of," he called over his shoulder.

She just sighed and followed him into the kitchen where she began to help him put up groceries.

"So Dad, Cole and I have some news," she paused, "we're having a baby."

He stopped putting groceries away, "What?"

"We're having a baby. It's still early but with recent events we decided to tell you guys."

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into the biggest bear hug ever, "I'm so happy for you. After everything this family has been through the past few years we deserve to be happy."

She pulled away from her dad and continued to put groceries up. Sid sits at the bar in silence and watches her father and sister put up groceries. They did this for a few minutes until Sidney broke the silence.

"It's happening again."

Their dad looked at her, "Cotton had a lot of enemies Sid. The police aren't saying that it's related to us."

"We know that Dad but something just doesn't feel right about this. It feels like it did the last time this shit happened," Sarah spoke.

It was quiet for a minute before Sidney asked, "Do you ever think about her?"

Sarah stops what she's doing to hear his response, "Your mom?"

"None of this would've ever happened if she hadn't .... if she hadn't" Sidney pauses, "Why'd she have so many secrets Dad?"

"Listen maybe its time the both of you came home," he pauses looking at Sarah, "Especially now that you and Cole are going to be parents," he walks around the bar to sit next to Sidney, "I'm worried about you kid, all of you, Cole included."

Sarah walks over to them, "You guys are out here by yourselves. You never see anyone-"

Sarah cuts him off, "That's not true. We venture out when we have the need to and Cole works at his Uncle Bobs' garage. We see people just not very often."

He gives her a look and turns back to Sidney, "The only people that either of you talk to don't even know your real names. Cole doesn't interact with the customers remember, he does the work but lets his uncle do all the talking. Its as if none of you exist."

"That's the idea Dad. Psychos can't kill what they can't find," Sidney said before getting up and walking away.

At the look on their dads face Sarah said, "Not that hiding has ever stopped them before. The bastards are resilient in their quests to kill us."

He just cut her a look and she shrugged before walking to the couch and sitting down. While her father and Sidney finished their talk she picked up a random book sitting on the coffee table to distract herself.

Before she knew it her dad was kissing her on the head with the promise of a phone call the next day. Sidney locked the doors behind him before walking over and sitting next to her sister and laying her head on Sarah's shoulder.

"I wish Dad would understand that we do this to protect everyone. We don't like to be away from everyone but this is the safest option for everyone."

Sarah nodded, "I know Sid. I know."

The sisters sat there together in silence. Before long both were asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sarah is woke up by Sidney jumping awake. She looked at her, "Sid you okay?"

Max and Cherokee must have sensed something wrong because they came running to Sid, who was visibly shaken.

Sarah repeated her question, "Sid, you okay?"

Sid looked at her and nodded, "Just another nightmare about Mom. I'll be fine."

They both jump when they hear the front door open and shut. They turned to see Cole, both let out a breath of relief at the sight of him.

"You guys okay?" he asked as he walked over to them.

The sisters nodded. He looked at them in suspicion before saying, "Okay, I'm going to get a shower I'll be right back."

He kissed Sarah on the way by. She watched him walk away and then turns to Sid, "If your okay I'm going to head to bed, " she hugged Sid, "If you need me Ill be in my room. I love you"

"Love you too Sar."

Sarah said goodnight to her sister and headed to her room. Max followed and jumped onto the end of the bed as she changed into her pajamas. Just as she finished getting ready Cole emerged from the bathroom.

He wrapped his arms around her, "How was your dads visit?"

"It was okay, he tried to convince Sid and I that it would be best if we went home," she paused, "I might have, sort of ,maybe told him about the baby."

He tightened his arms around her, "That's fine Sar I don't mind that you told him," he kisses the side of her head, "What did you two say about moving back home?"

She shrugged, "The same thing we always say, that the psychos can't kill what they can't find."

He releases her, "Finish getting ready for bed, I'm going to double check the locks and security system before I lay down," he kisses her and then leans down and kisses her still flat stomach before heading out the door.

Sarah lays down and snuggles deep into the covers falling into dreams filled with a baby's laughter and her sisters scream.