Chapter Eighteen

The next afternoon Sarah was cooking dinner and Cole was sitting at the bar reading a magazine about cars

The next afternoon Sarah was cooking dinner and Cole was sitting at the bar reading a magazine about cars. Sidney was sitting at the phone answering calls for the crisis center.

Sarah was humming under her breath when she felt arms wrap around her waist, "Whatcha cooking?"

"Homemade Chicken Parmesan," she let him taste the sauce, "is it good?"

The noise he made had the hairs on the back of her neck standing up, "So good babe."

He released her before walking back to the bar, "I talked to Dewey this morning. He said that he and Gale are helping a detective Kincaid with the murders. He said that under no circumstance did he want us to come to them."

Sarah paused, "Murders? There have been more than just Cotton and his girlfriend?"

He nodded, "One of the actresses in the movie was killed at the studio."

Before she could say anything she heard Sidney jump up from the desk," Who is this?"

She and Cole both walked over to her, she held her hand up before saying, "You're not my mother. How did you get this number? Who is this?"

Sarah walked over to the phone and saw that whoever it was had called their home number, not the office number. Sidney grabbed the remote and turned on the news. It was running the story of the latest murder. Sarah snatched the remote from her sisters hand turned the tv off.

Sidney snatches the headset off and reaches into the desk drawer and pulls out a revolver. Cole takes it from her and begins walking around checking all the doors and making sure the security system is armed. Both dogs start barking, all three walk over to the window and see nothing there.

Cole looked at them, "It looks like we might not have much of a choice about rejoining civilization. Pack a bag we're heading to LA to meet Dewey. If the killer knows where we are we are going to be safer with them than here alone."

Within the hour they drop the dogs off with Cole's uncle and head to LA.

The drive to LA was quiet except for the few times they had to stop for Sarah to puke, everything went smooth. When Cole pulled up outside the police station Sarah could feel her heartbeat begin to quicken. This was the last thing that she wanted to be doing but she saw Coles logic, they were safer with the police than alone, hopefully.

They get out of the car and Sidney hands Sarah her bag before grabbing her hand and saying, "We got this."

She took a deep breath before releasing Sid's hand and grabbing Cole's, "Lets go."

As they walk into the lobby they see Dewey standing there on the phone with somebody. He turns and sees them before turning back around. They watch him turn back around and hang his phone up before making his way to them.

"Sid, Sar, Cole"

"Dewey" they said in unison.

He hugged each of them before asking, "What are you doing down here?"

"Oh. Actually what were we doing up there?" Sid asked.

"We should have known we couldn't run from this. Its a part of our lives no matter where we are," added Sarah.

Once they got a good look at him Sid asked, "Jesus Dewey, are you okay?"

He nodded, "Yeah. I'm alright."

Sid and Sarah shared a look but it was Cole who asked, "Is she all right?"

"Yeah you know Gale it would take a direct hit," they laugh.

Sid tightened her hold on her bag, "The news said this was the precinct. Who's this guy Kincaid?"

Dewey grabs the sisters by the arm and nods his head for Cole to follow, "Come here. I said to stay hidden. It's not safe to be here."

Cole scoffed, "It's not safe there either. The killer called. We thought we'd be safer here with you than alone."

"What?" Dewey asked.

Sid nodded, "We'd rather not be alone."

Dewey nodded, "Okay come on."

The trio followed him back through the precinct until he stopped at an office and knocked on the doorframe, "Detective Kincaid?"

"Yeah," a voice from inside the office answered.

"There's a couple of people here who want to help," Dewey answered.

Gale turned around as Sidney, Sarah, and Cole walked into the office. Gale hugged the sisters and Cole before looking at Kincaid, "Is the man fast or what?" she asked.

Dewey introduced them to Kincaid, "Sid, Sar, Cole this is Detective Kincaid."

Detective Kincaid shook their hands, "Nice to finally meet you guys."

They looked at Dewey who said, "The killer called them."

"What? When?" the detective asked.

"What did he say?" asked Gale.

"The usual small talk. 'What's new, how you been, how you wanna die?'" Sidney said.

"What the hell do you think he asked Gale? How we are doing? How our lives have been since we last met?" said Sarah sarcastically.

Dewey stepped in, "Sidney do you have any idea how he could have gotten your number?"

"He could've monitored her calls on a scanner," the detective looked to Dewey, "Did you call her from the set?"

"No."

Gale looked at him, "Do you have her number stored in your memory?"

Dewey looked like he was concentrating real hard, Sarah sighed, "She means your phone memory Dew."

He nodded, "Yeah I guess I do."

"Has anyone else used your phone?" Gale asked.

"Just Jennifer. And you," he said looking at Kincaid.

Sarah tapped Sidney on the arm ignoring the detectives response as she walked toward a board with pictures of their mother when they were young pinned to it. The detective saw what they were looking at, "The killer leaves a photograph after each murder."

"They were taken in Hollywood at the same studio they're shooting STAB 3."

The sisters turn to Dewey, "Why didn't you tell us? This is our mother, Dewey. Why didn't you say anything."

He paused, "I was afraid they were bait. Something to trick you three out of hiding."

"Was she an actress or a model? They look a lot like publicity stills." Gale asked.

Sarah scoffed, "The things we don't know about our mother out weight the things we do know about her Gale. Nothing would surprise me anymore."

Sidney looked at the detective, "I wanna see the place in the pictures," she looked to Sarah who nodded, "we both do."

He looked at them, "Are you sure?"

They both nod, "Absolutely."