Lost Friends

Daisy woke up laying on top of Charlie, curled up on his chest. He still didn't have a shirt on. She shivered and realized his arms were around her. She pushed herself up, and walked into the bathroom to shower. She washed her hair and body, while thinking about the pros and cons of choosing either man. She groaned and thought about calling her mother and asking her. I'm 27. She thought. I need to act like an adult, and decide.

After standing in the hot water, she walked across the hall into her bedroom. She decided to wear a tee shirt, and some comfy pajama shorts. Daisy stood in front of her mirror and brushed through her hair. "Morning." Charlie said, walking into her room. He flopped on her bed and groaned. "I have the worst hangover. Ever." She laughed. "Thanks for patching me up." He said into her pillows. He inhaled smelling the fruity scent of her shampoo, and smiled. "You're welcome." She said emotionless. She really had no idea what to do, or who to pick. He looked at her and got off the bed. "Stop stressing, Daisy." He said, as he walked over and gave her a bear hug. He smelt musky, like cologne. "I'll be right back." He said, walking out of her apartment.
• • •
"Hey! I made breakfast." Daisy said when she heard the door open. "Great. I could go for some food." Said a familiar voice. She turned and saw Austin leaning against the counter. "Hey, Austin." She said, in a weird tone. He arched an eyebrow and walked over to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. "What's on your mind, Days?" he asked. She inhaled sharply and ducked under his arms. "Austin listen. I love you, okay? But what you don't understand, is that I don't love you the way you think I do. I know you like me more than a friend, or even a best friend, but I don't. Can we please just stay friends? I-I don't want a romantic relationship with you. I'm sorry." She concluded, looking at the tiled floor. She heard him scoff and walk out the door. She turned back around, with a blank face, and turned the stove off. She walked to the couch and started to sob.

I just lost my best friend. She thought. She started hyperventilating and curled into a ball. "What- am I-s-supposed to do?" She asked herself in between sobs. Charlie walked in, and saw her on the floor. He walked over without saying a word, and held her in his lap. "I saw Austin.." He said, as he pieced together what had happened. "It's not your fault he acted that way. You know that." He murmured, rocking back and forth. Charlie and Daisy sat like that for hours. Her sobbing, and him rubbing small circles on her back. Eventually, Charlie carried her to her bedroom, and put her under the covers. "Stay with me?" She whispered, her voice hoarse from crying. He nodded and laid down next to her. She wrapped her arms and legs around him like it was the last time she'd ever see him again. He continued to rub her back, and whisper soothing words, until her breathing evened, and she fell asleep.
• • •
"Hey, sleepy head." Charlie said, as he saw Daisy's eyes flutter open. "How are you feeling?" He asked in a more serious tone.
"I'm okay. C-can I have some water?" She asked, rising up from his side. He smiled and went into the kitchen. Daisy reached onto her night stand and checked her phone. She had 3 text messages, all from Austin.

Sent at 12:35 am.
Hey.
Sent at 1:29 am.
I'm sorry for acting the way I did. Please forgive me Days?
Sent 2:12 am.
I screwed up. I'm sorry.

She locked her phone and tossed it to the end of the bed. Charlie walked in with a glass of water, and sat on the bed with her. "Hey, I've been meaning to ask," he started, scratching the back of his neck, "would you want to go on a date with me?"