Chapter 2: Tensions

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the sky transformed into a vibrant canvas of orange, pink, and purple

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the sky transformed into a vibrant canvas of orange, pink, and purple. Leon remained on high alert, while Jasper was laying down on the bed unconscious, recovering from the impact of being tossed and knocked out by the man.

Eventually, Jasper slowly opened his eyes, his vision blurred and his head spinning. He blinked to adjust his eyes before slowly sitting up on the bed. He took in his surroundings and noticed Leon standing across the room with his arms folded. "Took you long enough."

"Leon?" Jasper spoke groggily before he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He grasped his lower ribs and winced in pain for a moment. "What happened? Who was that?"

"Damned if I know," Leon responded with a shrug. "But right now: I think we should be more careful with whatever comes next. Something's definitely not right with this village," he advised.

"Right," Jasper nodded.

"You should've been more careful," Leon said coldly.

"I know, and I will," Jasper nodded quickly. "You can trust me."

"Trust you, huh?" Leon inquired. "I hope I can, because this mission's already hard enough as it is. So don't make it harder for the both of us, all right?"

Leon's words were blunt. He didn't even bother to make sure if Jasper was okay or not. He doesn't even try to be civil with him despite being his partner. "Right," Jasper replied after a moment of silence.

"We should go. Daylight's burning," Leon stated. He made his way to the doorway before glancing back at Jasper. "You coming or not?"

"Yeah, I'm coming," Jasper replied before he followed behind Leon.

As they stepped outside, the evening breeze hit their skins. The bear traps littered around the house were still active. Instead of wasting their ammo, Jasper came up with an idea to grab a small rock and threw it on the pressure plates, causing the sharp metal jaws to snap.

They were about to unlock the metal gate with the same insignia as the key Leon retrieved, until the sound of a faint, whimpering noise caught their attention. It was a sound of an animal in distress, the kind of sound that could break even the hardest of hearts. Leon's instincts immediately kicked in and he quickly followed the sound, Jasper following suit. The sound grew louder and more urgent with every step, and soon they could make out the desperate cries of a large, white wolf trapped in a rusty bear trap.

"You too, huh?" Leon asked the animal, not expecting a response. The canine cried out in pain, looking up at the pair with pleading eyes.

Leon knew he couldn't just abandon the helpless wolf in its current state. The blonde carefully approached the trap, trying not to startle the animal while Jasper watched from afar. Leon noticed the bear trap was tightly clamped onto the animal's back left paw, causing it to bleed profusely. He knelt down, took a deep breath, and began to pull the trap open.