8.

That night they arrived at reception just before closing time

That night they arrived at reception just before closing time. The pair rushed to the desk, desperate to check Monica in for the night, if all went to plan she would be in a room at the end of a hallway next to Sam's and opposite the room Ellie and Teagan were sharing.

The hotel receptionist frowned as she scanned her computer screen. "I'm terribly sorry, but it seems there was a misunderstanding with your room reservation. We have a fully booked house, and your room won't be ready until tomorrow morning."

Monica's heart sank. She had been looking forward to some peace and quiet before the game. She turned to the receptionist, a hint of desperation in her voice. "Is there anything you can do? I really need a room tonight."

"Unfortunately I can't, you could ask around with your friends if they have an extra bed." The receptionist half-assed suggested.

"Come on Moni you can share with me." Sam told the girl getting frustrated with the stupid hotel and their clearly brain dead staff. Sam grabbed Monica by the hand and pulled her along to the elevators. Monica's heart jumped out of her chest at the contact.

Sam's room has one queen sized bed on the wall in the middle of the room, a window looking into the city of Brisbane and a small bathroom. 

Monica felt a bit self-conscious as she settled into the room, but Sam's easygoing nature put her at ease. They discussed their respective schedules for the next day, and Sam offered some insights into the team's preparations.

As evening settled in, they both changed into their pyjamas and climbed into the Queen-sized bed. The room was filled with a comfortable silence, broken only by the soft hum of the air conditioning. Monica glanced over at Sam, who was focused on her phone. She felt her heart flutter just at the sight of the soccer star.

"Thank you so much for this Sammy. I really appreciate it." Monica thanked Sam endlessly.

"No worries at all Mona, there is nothing I wouldn't do for you." Monica could feel her cheeks heating up at Sam's words.

"Good night Sammy."

"Good night Moni." The two instantly fell into a deep sleep, their presence provided a comfort neither of them have ever felt before.