13.

It had been a few days since Sam and Monica went out for coffee together

It had been a few days since Sam and Monica went out for coffee together. The texting back and forth in-between Sam's training sessions and Monica's album promotions has been fully accelerated, they would talk for hours and hours about the most random of things that didn't even matter but it felt like it was the most important thing in the world to each other. Monica's mind would spend every moment of every day thinking about Sam, her smile, her laugh, her eyes, you name it and it is guaranteed on her mind.

What Monica didn't know was that Sam was thinking about the exact same things, whilst she was stretching, whilst she was banging in goals in training drills, whilst she was drifting off the sleep. The team noticed Sam's sudden over-positive attitude, sure she was the enthusiastic team captain before but now there was not once a smile couldn't be seen on her face even if they were doing laps around the field, sprints for time, weight lifting etc. Her performance seemed to be at an all time high, this made them really question what she was hiding.

Denmark was going to be tough opponent for the girls but with the "never say die" attitude engraved into their brains they felt like they could beat anyone especially coming off a big win against Canada.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the soccer field, the Matildas gathered in the locker room, anticipation hanging in the air like a charged current. The hum of excitement mixed with the sound of cleats tapping against the tiled floor. Tony's voice echoed through the room, rallying the team. 

"Alright girls, tonight's the night, first game of the knock out stages. Denmark's no pushover, but we've got the skills, the spirit, and the 'never say die' attitude. Let's show 'em what we're made of!" Tony's words reverberated, sparking a fire in the players' eyes. 

Sam stepped forward, her voice steady but charged with determination. "We've trained hard for this, and we know each other's moves. Stick to the plan, trust your instincts, and let's make Australia proud!"

The locker room buzzed with unity as the players exchanged nods and encouraging words. They pulled on their green and gold jerseys, the colors of their nation, with a sense of pride. Each player laced up their cleats, the ritual of preparation filling the air with a sense of purpose.

Outside, the stadium roared with anticipation. The Matildas led by Sam walked with their heads held high into the pitch. Each national team lined up either side of the refs focusing their teams and singing their country's anthem. As per usual Sam let her eyes wander to the exact place she knew Monica would be. 

The blonde haired girl already had her warm gaze casted onto Sam, a soft smile on her lips in admiration of the woman. Sam had to hold back the urge to smile and wave whilst anthems were being sung. At the conclusion of the photos and hand shaking Sam finally got her chance to send a bright smile and wave to the girl she loved most. Their interactions were cut short by the ref calling Sam for kick off.

The stadium erupted in a symphony of cheers as the Matildas kicked off against Denmark. The ball zipped across the field, players showcasing their skillful footwork. Caitlin Foord, nimble as ever, weaved through defenders, creating opportunities for Australia. In the 29th minute, the crowd erupted into jubilation as Foord unleashed a powerful strike, sending the ball soaring into the back of the net. Australia 1, Denmark 0.