14.

Monica awoke with a start, the soft morning light filtering through the curtains of Sam's hotel room

Monica awoke with a start, the soft morning light filtering through the curtains of Sam's hotel room. Disoriented, she felt the warmth of Sam's body pressed against hers, tangled in the sheets. The events of the previous night flooded back – the exhilarating game, the celebrations, and now this intimate moment.

Sam stirred beside her, her eyes fluttering open. A sheepish smile played on her lips as he realized the close proximity. "Morning," she mumbled, brushing a strand of hair from Monica's face.

Monica couldn't help but blush, her mind racing to piece together the fragments of the night. "Morning," she replied, her voice a mix of warmth and comfort.

 "Guess we should get up," Sam suggested, a hint of reluctance in her voice.

Monica nodded and hummed, a mix of emotions dancing in her eyes. Still the pair just lay there not moving, staring into each other's eyes. Monica and Sam lay there for a few moments, a comfortable silence enveloping them as they processed the nuances of the night before. The soft morning light painted a gentle backdrop, creating an atmosphere of intimacy in the hotel room. Sensing the unspoken tension between them, Sam took a deep breath, breaking the quietude.

"Monica," Sam began, her voice soft yet determined, "there's something I've been wanting to do."

Monica turned to her, her eyes meeting Sam's with a mix of curiosity and anticipation. "What is it?"

Sam hesitated for a moment before closing the gap between them. Gazing into Monica's eyes, she whispered, "May I?" The request hung in the air, the unspoken desire evident in the warmth of their proximity.

Monica's heart raced as she nodded, giving Sam permission. In that delicate moment, Sam leaned in, closing the distance between their lips. The world outside ceased to exist as they shared a tender, lingering kiss—a silent acknowledgment of the shift in their connection. As they broke away from the kiss, Monica and Sam exchanged a knowing smile, a silent agreement passing between them. The morning had taken an unexpected turn, but there was a mutual understanding that it was time to face the day.

With a shared chuckle, they decided to really get up and ready for the day. The atmosphere shifted to one of casual companionship as they went about the routine of preparing for the day ahead. The earlier tension had dissipated, replaced by a newfound ease between them.

They laughed and talked as they dressed, the intimacy of the morning lingering in the air. The awkwardness that initially accompanied their awakening had transformed into a shared understanding. 

Monica and Sam, attempting to discreetly leave the hotel room, found themselves tip-toeing down the corridor, hoping to avoid Sam's teammates who were still unaware of the recent turn of events. The hallway seemed unusually long as they navigated through it with hushed laughter and shared glances.

Just as they reached the elevator, Sam realised she had forgotten her phone in the room. "Wait here, I'll be right back," she whispered to Monica before darting back into the room.