第五章 ─ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓

────────── ✦ ──────────

第五章 // 𝗖𝗛. 𝟱 」

"It's Tough to Be a God."

────────── ✦ ──────────

"Hm..? Did I strike a nerve, princess?"

You feel Macaque's unmoving gaze on you, burning through your skin.

It was choking. Choking, like you had unleashed something far worse than a disaster upon this mortal plane, like you had wronged him in more ways than one. Like you had killed someone dear to him.

You were unable to tell what he was thinking. Has he gotten better at hiding his emotions from you?

Your stance wavers for a moment, before you ground yourself once more.

Was this a feeble attempt to change the fate of the teen hesitating behind you? Perhaps so.

"I could care less whether you're acting on someone else's orders, and forgive all the heinous crimes you've committed in the past— but leave MK alone. You're not taking him."

Macaque laughs loudly, and you feel a dull ache in your temples from a sense of tiredness you are unfamiliar with.

"Please, playing hero after all this time? You've changed, princess. What happened to standing on the sidelines and watching fate play out on its own?" Macaque mocks, taking a step towards you, not backing down from your glare.

"What happened to being the Jade Emperor's loyal little fox?"

You grab his collar harshly, pulling him down to your eye level. A dark look flashes across your face.

"What happened to being the Hero's loyal little warrior?" You shoot back, almost sneering. Immediately, his face morphs into one of irritation.

"You don't want to bring that up, Y/n."

MK's fearful eyes darts between the two of you, unsure of what to do. You scowl at Macaque.

"Keep your mouth shut if you know what's good for you, celestial monkey."

You let go of his collar with a cold scoff, turning to grab MK's hand and pulling him along with you. You find that you can't move. Spinning your head around agitatedly, you see Macaque grabbing onto MK's other arm, a smirk still plastered on his face.

He was well informed about the fact that you had implemented restrictions on tampering with the strings of fate — which you weren't an exception to.

"Come on, why in such a hurry? Let the kid decide for himself."