Chapter 2: Carl Santino

Carl's pov

I was walking with my best friend Damian when I saw her behind me. She had long straight hair that fell over her shoulders and she had on a green and white patterned long-sleeved top with black dress pants.

"Wow, she's pretty", I said to Damian. "Who are you referring to?", he asked. I used my eyes to motion for him to turn to the back and he did. He hummed in agreement. "Do you like her or something?", he asked. "Nah, it's not like I know her or something, but she's cute", I replied.

She seemed to be in a hurry by my observation because she was walking fast and had a serious expression on her face, but then she held my stare before making a turn. I didn't even get to admire her long enough. I started silently hoping we would see again.

"Come on man, it's not bad if you like her, just talk to her when next you see her. You could even get to know her with time", he said.

I agreed with him and then started thinking of how I would talk with her and what I would say.

"If you are worried about what to say to her, you shouldn't be, she doesn't bite", Damian said, somehow voicing my thoughts. "Just be yourself, be confident, be funny and be charming, like you're with me", he continued.

I snorted. "Yeah, right. Like you are with girls."

Damian frowned. "Hey, I'm not that bad with girls. I've had a few dates here and there."

"Says the one who has had numerous girlfriends and blind dates that never worked out", I countered.

Damian looked away. "Well, you are right but that's not the point. The point is, that you have an opportunity to meet someone amazing, don't let it slip away. Come on, I'll even go with you if you want, we'll make it very casual like we just happened to bump into her."

I want to talk to her when I see her, but I am afraid of making a fool out of myself. What if she rejects me? What if she thinks I'm crazy? What if she has a boyfriend?

After grabbing drinks at the food court, we went back to the copy shop while talking about some stuff. To my very surprise, immediately we entered the copy shop my eyes landed on the one person who had been on my mind for some minutes now. I was so happy and shocked at the same time, but I had to play it cool.

I looked at her again while laughing about something with Damian and suddenly this wave of confidence and surge of courage came to me. She was so beautiful, so captivating and so intriguing. I had to know more about her. I had to try.

I looked at the ground and spotted an item. Instantly, an idea popped into my head right at the spot. As I was about to talk to her, she got on the phone with someone and I was sure hoping she wasn't talking with her boyfriend.
I patiently waited for her to finish up her call then I tapped her.

"Excuse me, does this earring belong to you?", I asked her. I sure hoped I didn't come off as weird. She looked at me briefly and at my hand before answering no.

"Oh, I saw it on the floor and thought it belonged to you, my bad then", I said.
I honestly didn't know where that lame attempt at starting a conversation came from, but it's better than nothing.

Before I could think too much of it, one of the print operators motioned for Damian and me to come forward and get our photocopied items. We went forward, collected the items and paid, then as we were leaving, I gave her one last lingering gaze and walked out.