Chapter 8: Solitude and Sunshine

Xandria's pov

I opened one eye to look at the time on my bedside clock. It was 7:45 am and if I got up now, I would feel tired later in the day. So I decided to snuggle back in and tried closing my eyes seeing as I had no lectures today. I couldn't help but allow my mind to drift off into the thoughts of him.

The deepness of his voice alone is enough to make my panties wet and make me start dripping. He has a radiant smile also.

"What is going on with me? Why do I feel this way? Why does my heart pound whenever I'm close to him? Why do I even feel butterflies in my tummy whenever I see him? Could it be I'm beginning to develop feelings for him?" I taught to myself.

I slipped out from beneath the sheets to clear my head and stooped down to wear my fluffy slippers.

I decided to do some cleaning up and tidying. When I was done, I headed to the bathroom to do my morning routine. After doing that, I carefully selected a nice but simple casual wear. I wore it and jumped right into bed.

I remembered I had an assignment which was due soon, so I got started on it. I finished that and started reading a novel right away.

Sunlight filtered through the blinds, casting striped shadows that crawled across the room with the passing hours.

I was craving raspberry cheesecake and tea during the evening for dinner, so I decided to go get it.

The café was cosy, its walls adorned with vintage posters and fairy lights. I settled into the cushioned chair, anticipation bubbling within me. The menu lay open, but my heart had already decided: cheesecake.

The waiter arrived, bearing a plate-a masterpiece of creamy indulgence. The cheesecake sat there, a golden crust cradling the ivory filling. A dollop of raspberry compote adorned the peak like a ruby crown.

 A dollop of raspberry compote adorned the peak like a ruby crown

The first bite-a symphony of flavours. The crust crumbled, yielding to the lush creaminess beneath. Tangy sweetness danced on my tongue, and I closed my eyes.

At that moment, time ceased to exist. The world faded away, leaving only me and my cheesecake. Each bite was a revelation-a whispered secret shared between me and this dessert. The raspberries burst, painting my palate with their vibrant hue.

As I savoured the last morsel, I felt it-a contentment that transcended mere satisfaction. I wiped my lips, still tasting the lingering sweetness. The plate was empty, but my heart and tummy were full. The cheesecake had woven itself into my memories-a slice of bliss that would forever linger on my palate.

And so, with a sigh of utter contentment, I leaned back, gazing out the window. The evening was a canvas of twilight hues-the sky a blend of coral and indigo.

The restaurant's door chimed as I stepped out. As I walked, I replayed my day's activities and started humming to myself.

And then, there he was-a vision at the crossroads. My supposed crush. The one who'd made my heart pirouette during the day and at night. His name-Carl-was etched in my mind like a secret whispered to the stars.

He leaned against a lamppost, his dark hair tousled by the breeze. His eyes, those eyes held galaxies within.

Now, fate had orchestrated this moment of serendipitous dance on the sidewalk. I hesitated my pulse a hummingbird's flutter. Should I say something? Or would I stumble over my words like a clumsy ballerina?

He looked up as if sensing my presence. His smile constellation of warmth reached his eyes. "Hey," he said, and the syllable hung in the air.

"Hi," I replied, my voice a fragile thread. "Going on a stroll?"

He nodded, tucking his hands into his trouser pockets.

Carl stepped closer, the lamplight casting shadows on his face. "You know," he said, "I've been meaning to ask you something."

My breath hitched. "What?"

He reached into his pocket, bringing out his phone. "Your number. Can I have it?"

I blinked, my cheesecake-induced haze dissipating. "Yes," I whispered, typing my digits onto his dial pad.

His smile brightened, intertwining with the evening sky.

As our fingers brushed when giving him back his phone, I felt the spark of possibility, the sweetness of beginnings.

And so, beneath the fading sky, we stood conversing about our daily activities and our plans for the weekend.

After a while, I checked my phone and realised it was getting late and I needed to head back to my room. "It's been nice talking with you, but I need to head back as it's getting dark", I said.

His eyes held mine, a silent plea to stay. "You know, we should hang out one of these days, I could suggest a day and get to know if it would work with you and if it doesn't, you could suggest a convenient day for you and I'll try to fit it into my schedule. It was good seeing you this evening."

I blushed and nodded.

"Take care", he said. "You too," I replied, and then I continued my walk to my room.