Chapter 9: An unexpected twist

Carl's pov

My day began with the soft golden rays of the sun filtering through my bedroom curtains. I stretched leisurely, enjoying the warmth of my bed a little longer before finally deciding to rise.

The morning was spent in the tranquillity of my apartment having today's agenda clear in my mind: laundry, cleaning, tidying and later doing my thesis. I start with the laundry, sorting through the week's clothes. The rhythmic whir of the washing machine is oddly comforting, a simple reminder of domestic life amidst academic chaos.

As the machine does its work, I grab my phone and scroll through my Instagram and WhatsApp accounts, replying to several messages.

Next, I swept the floors, each stroke pushing away dust and the lingering anxiety I had. I paused, admiring the now spotless surface, a small victory in the grand scheme of things.

I got back to the washing machine to check on the clothes inside seeing as it had finished washing them. I brought them out one after the other, rinsed them and went to spread them.

I took a quick break. Then started organizing papers and books that were sprawled across my desk. I categorized them, not just by subject, but by the inspiration they provided. After doing that, I glanced around my apartment, a sense of accomplishment washing over me.

As the clock ticked, I got out my laptop and dived deep into my research, analyzing data, and piecing together information from various sources.

As noon approached, I began feeling hungry, realising I hadn't eaten breakfast. I decided to snack on an energy bar because I didn't feel like going out to buy food at that moment. After snacking, I began crafting sentences, paragraphs, and pages, blinking to articulate my findings clearly and persuasively. The cursor blinking rhythmically, a steady beat to the symphony of my keystrokes.

Realizing the day had slipped by, I decided it was time to venture out to get food, then go for an evening stroll. I donned my jacket and stepped into the cool evening air.

I went to my usual favourite eating spot, placed my order and got my food. I finished eating and relaxed a bit before stepping outside.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in shades of orange and pink. The evening was cool and the breeze gentle, carrying with it the faint scent of leaves and flowers. I was lost in thought, admiring the way the light danced through the leaves.

I leaned against a lamppost, with my dark hair getting tousled by the breeze. Suddenly I looked up as if sensing her presence. I smiled and said "Hey,". For a brief moment, she didn't respond, she stood there, slightly taken aback, a hint of shyness in her eyes.

"Hi," she finally replied, her voice sounding very fragile. "Going on a stroll?"

I nodded, tucking my hands into my trouser pockets.

I stepped closer, the lamplight casting shadows on my face. "You know," I said, "I've been meaning to ask you something."

Her breath hitched. "What?"

I reached into my pocket, bringing out my phone. "Your number. Can I have it?"

She blinked. "Yes", she whispered, typing her digits onto my dial pad.

My smile brightened, intertwining with the beautiful evening sky. I didn't think she was going to give it to me at first, but glad she did.

As our fingers brushed when giving me back my phone, I felt her soft warm hand.

And so, beneath the fading sky, we stood conversing about our daily activities and our plans for the weekend. The conversation flowed effortlessly and I was happy about that.

After a while, she took out her phone from her pocket and checked the time, probably realising it was already getting late. "It's been nice talking with you, but I need to head back as it's getting dark", she said.

My eyes held hers, a silent plea for her to stay. "You know, we should hang out one of these days, I could suggest a day and get to know if it would work with you and if it doesn't, you could suggest a convenient day for you and I'll try to fit it into my schedule. It was good seeing you this evening."

She blushed and nodded.

"Take care", I said. "You too," she replied, and then she left.

I wanted to continue my strolling, so I did that but I didn't walk for too long. I headed to my apartment not too long after.