Chapter 14: Survive

Lindsay POV

Lindsay POV

I don't know how much time has passed but I feel myself becoming conscious again because I can hear muffled voices. I am so nauseous and I have the worst headache ever so I continue to stay still, curled up with my knees pulled into my stomach. I realize I am in a vehicle but because it hurts to move and I don't want to alert whoever the voices belong to that I'm awake, I lay as still as I can with my eyes closed.  I just listen for any clues that could help me.

"Boss man will be very happy..."

"...she is just what he was looking for."

"Mikey practically gift wrapped this one..."

The voices drift back and forth. Nothing makes sense. What the hell are they talking about?

"And Luke...we hit the jackpot when we found that kid."

"Right...he's got a perfect record."

Luke? How did I know that name? My brain was still jumbled from the drugs that I was injected with. I blocked out the voices so I could think and it finally hit me. Luke was that fucking kid that was looking for his Mom.

I'm a fucking idiot. Getting scammed by a kindergartener. Fuck! How the fuck could I be so stupid and how the fuck was I going to out of this?

I want to facepalm myself for being so stupid but of course I don't. I just focus on making my breathing similar to a sleeping person. I will lose my element of surprise if they know I'm awake.

I continue to listen to the men, trying to understand what they are talking about and how many there are.

I'm not sure when it happened but pretending to be asleep must have actually made me fall back asleep because when I subtly opened my eyes the van, even though it was tinted, felt darker. What time is it? How long did I sleep for? How long have I been in this van for? Where was I going?

I closed my eyes and laid as still as I could. As far as I knew, whoever was in this van with me didn't know I was awake and I would like to keep it that way. So I just laid there and listened for anything that could help me get out of here.

"How much farther?" I heard a man's voice ask.

"Not long. Maybe ten, twenty minutes. Is she still out?" A reply came from a man with a deep voice.

Fuck! Internally I'm panicking. Will they come check on me? Wake me up? And we will be wherever they are taking me, soon!

I try to calm my body and even out my breathing so it's not completely obvious that I'm awake. I need that element of surprise.

I keep my eyes closed and try to keep my body relaxed, like a real sleeping person. I hear a shuffle then I feel a shadow over my body. My scalp prickles and I feel my palms grow clammy.