Chapter 36

Liam's POV:

The walk to the courtyard was quiet to say the least.

The moon was fully up, not a single cloud in sight as our bodied bathed in it's gentle light.

"... Owen," I started, "I'm sorry."

Owen looked at me for a moment, a knowing light shone in his eyes as his body relaxed.

"You.. Worry us, Liam..." He looked away for a moment, "You dissappear, claiming to not be feeling well, trash your dorm room and brush us off as if nothing happened. You constantly throw yourself into danger, saving others, not realizing you're in danger yourself..."

"I fear... That you might mess up one day and get..." Owen shook his head, "I know I'm not the best bestfriend as of recently, but you're making it really hard for me to even be one!" I felt myself shrink a bit.

"I'm worried that you might get... Hurt.." Tears welled up in his eyes, "I dont want that! I don't want us to be separated again.. Not after last time!"

"...I know you're strong, Liam! But if you're there for us, then who's there for you?" I scratch the back of my neck, digging my claws deeper into my skin.

"I, we, Alex, Nathalia, Wren, Candy, everyone wants to be there for you and yet you ignore our help! You ignore MY help!"

"I'm your best friend, right, Liam?! Do you not trust me when I asked what happened earlier!?"

He's screaming at this point. And I can't even find the right words...

'You wouldn't understand.'

'It's none of your business.'

'You're not strong enough.'

Those are the only words that come to mind in this situation..

I've always acted alone, never with others except when I truly need help or when a team is needed.

I know what I'm doing is wrong. That they need to be informed. That I have to trust my friends to tell them things like what happened earlier. But...

"I-" I pause, for a moment, I thought I saw myself standing with them. With the others. With Owen..

"You are.. You're my bestfriend. Pretty sure I'm far more worse than what you see yourself.." I chuckled a bit, though no emotion was in it, "My... Immediate thought process was to push people away to prtect them... And I've been doing the same to you guys, haven't I? Even though you guys are completely capable of defending yourselves."

"You have..." Owen replied, a bit of sadness laced in his words, "You're acting as if the whole world's weight is on your shoulders, as if you have a barrier surrounding you at all times..."

"Yeah, again, sorry... I guess my mind defaulted to soloing everything that troubles others... Damn, I'm a shitty friend, don't you agree, Owen?" Again, I let out a dry chuckle.

"You're..." A stray tear suddenly fell off my cheek. I ignore it entirely as my mind shuffled through my memories, replaying those moments where I pushed the others out.

"God, Damn it all..." I cuss, "You guys went through the trouble for me, only for me to push you away..." Another tear fell.

"I-... I don't think I'm worthy of such friends, really..." I sigh wiping the tears that come and go.

".. You're just.. Stubborn?" Owen smiled, showing a bit of those sharp teeth he has.

"Is there anything I can do to make it up for you guys..." I muttered, 'They worry for me even though we've only met a few days ago..'