▹ cue: on my mind, all the time

જ⁀➴ ♡

I WAS in the library as usual, studying for an upcoming test. I tested myself using flash cards and when I got everything right, I was happy. Knowing that I knew every possible thing there was to know about a subject or topic helped to calm my nerves before an exam. I was happily enjoying myself by resting my knowledge.

After all, it was a great day to study. In the cool temperatures of the library and the drip-drop sounds of rain were soothing. In addition, the area was blanked by light fog and cooling wind which was in contrast to the usual hot and humid weather. Finally finishing my 'last' round of revision for that day and subject, I turned my chair around and got up.

I walked toward the bookshelves to search for some books that might contain useful information for my essay next week. I searched with all my might and eventually found a couple of them that may be of help. I walked with the books in my hand only to be pushed and have the books fall to the ground.

"I'm so sorry," A hand reached out. I dusted my clothes and looked up. Him. Of course. Little brunette boy. Always.

I let out a sigh. I grabbed his hand and let him pull my up. He gathered up my books and handed them to me, apologising once more.

I only nodded in return.

"You must be studying right?" He chirped, following me like a puppy. I nodded.

"Let me come with?" I nodded.

He sat beside me and scrolled through his phone while I was busy flipping through pages and jotting down useful information. Try as I might I couldn't focus because that brunette boy didn't stop laughing.

Curious and irritated, I peered over him, trying to get a peek of what he was laughing at. It was a  video of a cat wearing a butlers outfit and serving his owner with a dead rat. So this was it?

"It's not even that funny," I muttered.

"Oh hell yeah it is!" He replied with an offended look. I rolled my eyes at him and continued to study.

"Can you be quiet. I'm trying to study."

"Oh I'm really sorry about that," He took out his airpods and stopped laughing. Good. Now I can focus! I continued to write and type away feeling joy from knowing with all the hard work I put in I'm bound to get an A plus.

All of a sudden, a girl walked toward us. Dyed blonde hair with her black roots clearly showing, plump and shiny red lips, an outfit that leaves little to the imagination, rosy cheeks and tan skin.

"So I've been thinking about this for a long time and I just wanted to ask if you would go out to me," She twirled her hair and chewed on some gum.

Brunette looked up from his phone and gave her a small smile.

"I'm sorry I already have someone I like," He apologised. There's no need to apologise for not liking someone?

"What? Is it her? Is she your girlfriend?" She asked in a gentle tone but when you take literature you clearly know she had a malicious intent behind that pretty little smile.

I didn't say anything. I continued to flip through the pages, ignoring her. She snatched my book away from me and held it by its spine.

"So? I want an answer," She bit her lips. Aren't we in college? Why was she still acting like a damn child.

"She's not my-" I cut Felix off by packing my things and snatching my book back from her as I left the scene. I didn't want to have a petty fight with Ms. Brat-Child. It wasn't worth it to argue with children. I went off, my silhouette covered by the fog. I decided to head home and study instead because at home my book won't be snatched by some childish brat.

But that wasn't the only thing on my mind. When I heard him try to deny anything going on between my heart was pinched. It's not like I liked him or anything so why did I feel this way? Shaking my head off I tried desperately to forget about Brunette.

Forget? How could I? For the rest of the time I studied he was on my mind. Are you tired? Because your running through my mind. Stop. I attempted to refocus my focus but the only thing I could focus on was him. His smile, his gentle yet deep voice, his hugs, his warmth. Ugh. I desperately did NOT want to think about brunette. He was hogging my mind. But I couldn't refuse it.

And maybe the next time I see him, I might have some rosy cheeks too like her.