xviii

❝ the one where small gestures matter. ❞
_____________________________

VANESSA !
_____________________________

VANESSA !_____________________________

|☕︎︎|

RAYS OF SUNSHINE weren't the first thing Vanessa woke up to, no, it was her mother's loud knocking on her bedroom door.

"Vanessa!" Aurora shouted surprisingly cheerful.

The brunette lifted her head ever so slightly, yawning as she tried to ignore the voice who was begging for her attention.

"Go take a shower and get changed." And then she was gone.

Knowing very well Vanessa didn't have a choice, she got up, groaning out in annoyance. She had no idea why her mother carried such a rush in her voice, but she listened nonetheless — with lots of stubbornness, of course.

She pulled a green sweater and beige skirt out of her wardrobe, slipping into her heels as she did her hair. She brushed the knots out and braided one long tail. Moving onto her make-up, she went for a natural look along with light brown lipstick.

Finishing it off, she grabbed a silver necklace and earrings. She played with the rings on her fingers and smiled to herself.

She swung her purse around her shoulder and carefully made her way downstairs, trying not to slip and make an very, ugly — and probably dramatic — fall.

As she passed the kitchen, she noticed her mother eating away her breakfast as she studied her phone intensely.

Vanessa's father had already gone to his favorite golfclub, where he would spend his whole Saturday with his colleagues. The Davis women wouldn't see him until the evening again.

"Please, do tell me why I had to get up on a Saturday morning at eight." Vanessa huffed as she grabbed an apple, taking her first bite.

"It's not good to sleep in." Aurora murmured. "Besides, it's time to go shopping again. I've seen you wear the same items too many times. It's embarrassing."

Raising her brows, Vanessa tilted her head. "So we're having a mother daughter day due to my lack of clothing?"

"Sure." Her mother shrugged as she put her dish away in the sink. "Also, the Reyes are staying for dinner tonight."

Almost spitting out her apple, the brunette stood with wide eyes as she went over the same sentence again and again. "Why?"

"Because Ashley's father is an great asset for your father's firm."