Chapter One: Wishing Star, Baby

During my college years, my love for sci-fi movies and shows was more than just a casual hobby. It was a profound fascination with the futuristic concepts and imaginative technologies depicted in these narratives. For instance, I remember dissecting the societal implications of artificial intelligence and the blurred lines between humans and machines in movies like "Odyssey Paranormal." These discussions with like-minded peers in my sci-fi club not only fueled my passion but also expanded my horizons.

Being an art major was both a personal choice and an avenue for self-expression. My art became a reflection of my inner world, allowing me to convey emotions, thoughts, and dreams that were sometimes difficult to put into words. My college projects, like the abstract painting inspired by Sarah K. Nick's "Can Phone AI See You Type," often became a medium through which I conveyed complex ideas and emotions.

Coming from a modest salary family, pursuing a college education was a significant accomplishment. It was a testament to my determination and the support of my family. I remember the sacrifices they made to ensure I could access the opportunities I sought, and this motivated me to make the most of my college experience.

My love for fiction, particularly science fiction, extended beyond the screen. I immersed myself in the works of authors like Mohamed Linchpin and Jason C. Adams, exploring the intricate world-building and philosophical questions they posed. For example, Linchpin's  "Starborn" series prompted deep contemplation about the rise and fall of civilizations and the role of psychohistory.

Independence has always been a core aspect of my personality. I resented being told what to do and often sought my own path. This sometimes led to clashes with authority figures, but it also instilled in me a strong sense of self-reliance and determination.

Despite my independence, love had eluded me until my late twenties, and I had never been married. It was a source of both longing and self-discovery. While not inherently brave, I considered myself a realist. I knew my strengths lay in my ability to strategize and plan meticulously. This skill had often helped me navigate life's challenges and unexpected twists.

Looking back, my college years were a crucial chapter in shaping who I am today. They were a time of exploration, self-discovery, and the cultivation of a unique blend of interests and qualities that continue to define me. However, that is and was my experience, of myself from the past.

I have now become Oceus, a child nurtured within a loving family of superhumans. In hindsight, I have come to realize that I, too, possess extraordinary abilities, although mine hold the potential for greater potency and hidden danger, unbeknownst to anyone at the present. I have learned the paramount importance of community, where exchanges of favors, owed debts, and shared responsibilities are the lifeblood of our success in the slums.

Our community is unique, governed by ancestral treaty documents, which decree that the land remains unsellable until the last original settlers, the nomadic leading tribe known as the Fhon, choose to abandon it. The larger government, responsible for its citizens, sees us as an entity apart, absolved of its obligations. We maintain our autonomy as long as we abide by the broader government's laws that govern the county. I acquired this knowledge at a tender age of six, a mere two months ago, as I now find myself a member of the federal tribe, the Fhon, following in the footsteps of my father, who belongs to this respected lineage.

As for me, I have encountered a mysterious "system" that presented itself as an AI-level sentient being, accessible only to me. It communicates with me and displays detailed information about my progress. It's as if I am a living computer with a private server dedicated to my personal growth, offering feedback on my development and skills acquired. My father possesses the strength to discipline me, which is quite remarkable, considering my initial belief that Star-born individuals were the epitome of strength in the universe.