Chapter Seven: Uprising Demands

Life at the medical facility proved to be a reprieve from the usual demands of the slum life and academic responsibilities. Ignoring the daily medical staff checkup, life was comparatively better. Homework persisted, but as an introvert, I could easily feign sleep to deter any interruptions or act as if I had just awakened.

The nurses at the facility were incredibly supportive, accommodating my preference for a relaxed, couch-potato lifestyle. While the official paperwork stated two weeks of recovery, by the third day since Globby's last visit, I was already fully recovered. Vesper made an appearance, but I continued my charade of either just going to bed or still being asleep. The nurses, dedicated to minimizing stress for their patients, discouraged disturbances. Though Vesper was aware of my ruse, he respected their approach and left me alone.

Despite Vesper's attempts to engage with me during his time pauses, I remained indifferent, ignoring him as he knew any physical contact would elicit my complaints and reluctance. The peaceful interlude in the medical facility allowed me to recharge and prepare for the challenges that awaited me outside its comforting walls.

In the solitude of the medical facility, I found companionship in the holographic projectors, allowing me to choose a comfortable posture while watching my preferred television channels. The unread letter from Cass lingered, its contents a mystery that I hesitated to unravel based on Globby's hinted insights. Choosing to keep it unread indefinitely, I focused on the soothing distraction of holographic entertainment.

Despite several professors attempting to engage me in conversation, I continued my act of playing possum, conveniently sleeping whenever they visited. They would leave their assignments on the table, and after numerous unsuccessful attempts to draw me into conversation, they would depart. My bunkmate on the right side of the room initially found my behavior annoying, but eventually, she too adopted the laid-back lifestyle, realizing the benefits of a temporary escape from the demands of academic life. The medical facility became a haven of quiet retreat, allowing both of us to recharge in our own ways.

One day, Lukister-Vonaria entered the room to visit my bunkmate across from me. She seemed visibly flustered, but to me, it was the mysterious girl he was apparently cheating on, a subplot the series had never revealed.

"Lukister-Vonaria, I hope you're not cheating on her. She's been kind so far, and I'd hate to find out you know there's another female known as Ashia who's just a friend too," I casually remarked, unintentionally stirring up a chaotic confrontation between the two. I lay there, watching the scene unfold, my bunkmate in tears as the flowers he'd brought her were thrown aside in disgust.

Despite Lukister's attempts to ease the situation, his efforts were in vain. Eventually, he left the room as the nurses came in to escort him out. Before leaving, he shot me a mean glare, but I simply shrugged, confident in my safe position as a passive observer in the unfolding drama.

If Lukister wanted to settle the score, he could schedule his own appointment for a confrontation. We were even in the same house, and given my lack of fondness for him in the series, this was a form of vengeance and a nod to Emirah, who had endured the consequences of Lukister's manipulative actions. Despite his good looks, surpassing mine by a fair amount, I understood he was a player, and this was my response.

In the series, Lukister possessed abilities, though they were known to be standard academy level. If the reality differed, I was prepared to face it. If not, he posed no real threat to me. While he may not have been an enemy to Emirah in the show, as his reincarnation, Lukister became my adversary. The lesson needed to be learned – never play with people's hearts!

"See you around," Lukister said, and I responded with a smile radiating pure excitement. My hair floated up as I sat, adding to the theatricality. "Any time, Lukister, any place. I'll be happy to entertain. A big party is always welcome," I added, subtly hinting that I was ready for a confrontation, whether it be a fight, a gathering of friends, or even in space. The prospect of unloading my past-series baggage onto his annoyingly good-looking face was an enticing one.